Would you ever consider becoming a Buddhist?

Mr Rayon

Buddhism is the fastest growing religion in Australia.

Many also claim that it is compatible with modern science.

What do most people make of this?

As part of a scientific community, do you think you would ever consider taking up and accepting this religion/philosophy/way of life as your own?

If not, what are your reasons for rejecting it?

Are your thoughts about it more or less hostile in comparison to the great Abrahamic religions?

And if you had to accept one of the world's religions (for whatever reason), which one would you pick?

Edited by Mr Rayon

Buddhism is the fastest growing religion in Australia.

Many also claim that it is compatible with modern science.

What do most people make of this?

As part of a scientific community, do you think you would ever consider taking up and accepting this religion/philosophy/way of life as your own?

If not, what are your reasons for rejecting it?

Are your thoughts about it more or less hostile in comparison to the great Abrahamic religions?

And if you had to accept one of the world's religions (for whatever reason), which one would you pick?

Assuming I had no choice in the matter, I'd pick Wicca - it seems least likely to start invading my personal life at inopportune moments.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Buddhism, and i think it fits in some ways

a quote from Buddha:

"Don't blindly believe what I say. Don't believe me because others convince you of my words. Don't believe anything you see, read, or hear from others, whether of authority, religious teachers or texts. Don't rely on logic alone, nor speculation. Don't infer or be deceived by appearances."

if that is not compatible with science I don’t know what is...

its in some ways Buddhism is a fairly loose "religion" where the "deity" isn’t really a deity, but rather a person that believes in a certain set of moral and philosophical ideals and doesn’t really care if you believe in them yourself or not "its yours to choose", so its probably the best religion for a scientist.

*that is my personal opinion on Buddhism

**I am agnostic I live by the policy “ill believe it when I see it, and I don’t think “god” cares”

Reincarnation is a nice thought, but I really don't see any evidence for a soul, much less how it somehow automatically transfers to some organism and like...takes over its brain to become to new consciousness? Er...idk, it's not completely logical. And then determinism. If everything's determined what's doing the determining? And what evidence do we have for it's existence? It's not to say that Buddhism doesn't have any good lessons in it though.

Edited by EquisDeXD