Can I teach myself?

CuriousBanker

Hello again,

So, I have decided going back to school does not make financial sense, and I don't think science is the career path I want.

I am currently studying for my CFA. However, I am very interested in physics and chemistry. My girlfriend was a chem major in college, and sometimes, I just want to know whatever the heck she is talking about, haha. Plus I find science fascinating.

My question, is it possible to learn as a hobby, without a lab or teacher? I know I can use textbooks, the internet, and my girlfriend, will that be enough?

I am 23. When I am done with my CFA, is it something I can learn? If I spent, lets say 15 hours a week just learning for fun, would I be able to get the gist of it in 2-3 years? I already have the calculus, I know I can teach myself linear algebra. So I would need the two intro textbooks, organic, inorganic, Pchem, biochem...what else?

Later in life I would like to get into science as a career, if and when I already have money. So I plan on teaching myself physics, chemistry, and biology (genetics). Are these possible to learn by researching them myself? I don't need to be an expert, but is it reasonable to think that 5-6 years of studying 15 hours a week as a hobby, I could get a good grasp of the above mentioned chem subjects, and also some physics (waves, thermodynamics, electricity magnetism and fluids, quantum mechanic, nuclear physics)?

Or is it a pipe dream and I won't really be able to learn without school?

Don't get me wrong I know these subjects are no joke and you cant just pick up a book and expect to know everything, just wondering if I should even bother.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, there are some online sources that are decent - Khan Academy (in my opinion) is quite good, and it's still growing rapidly. But such an online source will only get you to a level that you can chat with the girlfriend. Not enough for a professional career in science.

Then again, in the other thread you mentioned how your income is supposed to progress (yes, I noticed you're out of a job at the moment - let's assume you fix that). If you can hit the 500k$ in a couple of years, you might as well hire someone with a PhD to teach you privately (either part-time or even full-time). PhD students get an income of 30k$ per year at uni (ballpark figure), and although they might expect an increase after they graduate, scientists don't expect to double up every other year... so this will probably be quite affordable for you. And the longer you wait, the more affordable it gets, since the income of bankers seems to increase exponentially, whereas scientists are lucky to get an increase at all. :)

I know this sounds a little ridiculous... you come here asking for an online source, and here's someone saying you should just hire someone full-time. But I am dead serious. You as a banker can calculate a payback time. Just calculate how much you yourself cost per hour. Then calculate the costs of a tutor. And then make an estimate of how much faster you progress with someone patiently waiting by your side to teach. I bet it's worth the money. If it is important enough for you to invest 15 hrs per week for 5-6 years, you might as well do it properly.