a class with 1 Midterm 1 Final

tdr124

I live in Washington State, and attend a local community college. I wish to major in Mechatronics and as of right nowI have completed my general physics series as well as differential, integral, and vector calculus (as well as Gen Chem and other classes). This coming year I will be taking Engineering classes: statics, dynamics, and mechanics. In addition to these classes I will be taking Multivariate, Linear Algebra, and Differential equations. I am excited to finally be able to start the engineering series, but I am a little concerned about the math classes. I am confident in my math skills and study abilities, as such I am rather confident that I will succeed. But, I am going to be taking multi, linear, and Diff. Eq. with a teacher who only has 1 mid term as well as 1 final exam. Albeit, there are is more to his grading scheme than these two tests, I cannot underestimate their importance. Therefore, I would like to know if any one of you could suggest tips on how to study for such exams, as having only 2 large tests per quarter will be a new experience for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, +1 post for me.

So, classes like this are definitely something to fear. One of the first things you should do is make connections right away and ask other students how to prepare for that class and its exams. That will surely give you head's up you desire if talking to the professor about how to prepare is not adequate. I definitely think that style of examination is fascist and generates a barrier to entry in the profession, but it's what you have to deal with: So learn to deal with it.

You need to make connections, as I'm sure your competitors will be doing so. Perhaps immediately finding a tutor who has dealt with the situation would be valuable, even if you have to fork over some cash for the information and guidance. If you can't find a tutor for free, quickly advertise or ask around. If you're shy about this, expect to get slammed in the course. There's no time to be shy or insecure about asking for help here.

Next would be considerate and constant review for the exams. I think for ochem II I had three exams. And the trick to doing well was constant review each day. Staying on-top of everything is a must. The work ethic must be there or you will be doomed (do not take this lightly at all; get ready for a lack of sleep).

At uni, most of my courses ended with just 1 exam, and it was always a make or break moment.

Apart from following classes and just working hard, you should prepare for the exam itself. So, see if you can get your hands on a recent test-exam (e.g. last year's exam). Make sure you understand all those questions. Practice more exams if you have more. If there was a change of teachers recently, then you should value the exams by your current teacher higher than those of a former teacher.

Yes, preparing for an exam rather than just trying to understand the contents of the class is a waste of time. But unless you're gonna change the system, you have to deal with it. We all do/did.