Why do we gossip?

my guess is to signal/strengthen group affiliation. As in, excluding a member from a group signals attributes that emphasize your similarity to others in the group by pointing out differences in an outcast. Pleasing a majority would definitely enhance one's survival.

This Psychology Today article may interest you - Dr. Nigel Nicholson discusses several reasons, from an evolutionary psychological basis, why humans engage in gossip.

The New Word On Gossip, Psychology Today, May 2001

Edit to add:

According to R.I.M. Dunbar of the University of Liverpool

Analyses of freely forming conversations indicate that approximately two thirds of conversation time is devoted to social topics, most of which can be given the generic label gossip.

From the abstract of Gossip in Evolutionary Perspective, Review of General Psychology 2004, Vol. 8, No. 2, 100–110

So I think it's fair to say that yes, if not all, then certainly a large percentage of human beings engage in some form of gossip.

Edited by Greg H.

You are asserting that all human beings gossip?

I'm actually going to go with yes if we allow for the exclusion of those who are in a position where communication and social interaction are rendered difficult or impossible.

I have yet to meet someone who has never said anything about any other person without that individual being present.

You are asserting that all human beings gossip?

I think that could be defended, if you would turn it around and say: "show me a human who never gossips". I don't think you can... but before we engage in such a discussion, we might want to clearly establish what "Gossip" actually means. To me it involves the following:

Gossiping is a way to gather information about all the social interactions in your social group, and especially those social interactions where you are not involved yourself. These can still be of significance to you. Proof/confirmation is hard to come by in this situation, so second hand information will just have to do.

Also, if you take gossip one step further, where it starts to resemble manipulating, you can use it to strengthen your own social situation, or rather weaken someone else's to your own benefits.

I think that could be defended, if you would turn it around and say: "show me a human who never gossips". I don't think you can... but before we engage in such a discussion, we might want to clearly establish what "Gossip" actually means. To me it involves the following:

Gossiping is a way to gather information about all the social interactions in your social group, and especially those social interactions where you are not involved yourself. These can still be of significance to you. Proof/confirmation is hard to come by in this situation, so second hand information will just have to do.

Also, if you take gossip one step further, where it starts to resemble manipulating, you can use it to strengthen your own social situation, or rather weaken someone else's to your own benefits.

I could support that as a working definition.