Illegal compounds: What is and what's not?

Gilded

Now that YT even had to post a thread about the illegal HE synths, I was wondering: What sort of compound synthesizing is absolutely illegal? Would someone mind guiding me to a page or source that concerns this (for the U.S. for example, as their restrictions seem to be quite the same as they are in European countries, and just about any country)? I especially would like to know more about the legality of synthesizing corrosive, potentially poisonous or sensitive materials. Of course, I have basic understanding of this, in the lines of "you're not allowed to make amphetamine".

Now that YT even had to post a thread about the illegal HE synths, I was wondering: What sort of compound synthesizing is absolutely illegal? Would someone mind guiding me to a page or source that concerns this (for the U.S. for example, as their restrictions seem to be quite the same as they are in European countries, and just about any country)? I especially would like to know more about the legality of synthesizing corrosive, potentially poisonous or sensitive materials. Of course, I have basic understanding of this, in the lines of "you're not allowed to make amphetamine".

I basically think this applies to any explosives which are listed as "High Explosives" or anything which requires a license to possess. Things like the synthesis of nitrogen triiodide kind of fall in a borderline area. I.E. if you're talking about the chemical reactivity of it, or describing it in an analytical scientific sort of manner, I believe that would be kosher. But if someone makes a post saying "How can I make [insert name of explosive compound here] with easily obtainable chemicals?", I don't think that would be alright. Now if someone says "Why is [insert name of explosive compound here] so unstable or so powerful?", I think that may be ok.

In terms of controlled substances, that's generally not allowed. Describing how to make diacetyl-morphine, lysergic acid diethylamide, methlyenedioxymethaphetamine, or any other amphetamine compound, is illegal in basically any country in the world. By telling someone how to go about doing that, I think this site could be held responsible for any resulting reactions, or it could draw unwanted attention. It's kind of weird how it's perfectly legal to know how to do this type of stuff, but to tell someone how to do it is kind of borderline. (I picked up on how the stuff is synthesized from my college education/experience. Toxicology class and forensics classes all went over the synthesis of these things since knowing how they are made and why they work the way they do can help when analyzing evidence).

I basically think this applies to any explosives which are listed as "High Explosives" or anything which requires a license to possess. Things like the synthesis of nitrogen triiodide kind of fall in a borderline area. I.E. if you're talking about the chemical reactivity of it, or describing it in an analytical scientific sort of manner, I believe that would be kosher. But if someone makes a post saying "How can I make [insert name of explosive compound here] with easily obtainable chemicals?", I don't think that would be alright. Now if someone says "Why is [insert name of explosive compound here] so unstable or so powerful?", I think that may be ok.

In terms of controlled substances, that's generally not allowed. Describing how to make diacetyl-morphine, lysergic acid diethylamide, methlyenedioxymethaphetamine, or any other amphetamine compound, is illegal in basically any country in the world. By telling someone how to go about doing that, I think this site could be held responsible for any resulting reactions, or it could draw unwanted attention. It's kind of weird how it's perfectly legal to know how to do this type of stuff, but to tell someone how to do it is kind of borderline. (I picked up on how the stuff is synthesized from my college education/experience. Toxicology class and forensics classes all went over the synthesis of these things since knowing how they are made and why they work the way they do can help when analyzing evidence).

Just adding a tad to jdurg's bit on narcotics. Some drugs have already been classified illegal and they haven't even been made yet!. Like jdurgs example of MDMA, there are all sorts of derivatives of MDMA as well. Many of these are illegal, even the ones that haven't been synthesized yet!.

Just adding a tad to jdurg's bit on narcotics. Some drugs have already been classified illegal and they haven't even been made yet!. Like jdurgs example of MDMA, there are all sorts of derivatives of MDMA as well. Many of these are illegal, even the ones that haven't been synthesized yet!.

"I basically think this applies to any explosives which are listed as "High Explosives" or anything which requires a license to possess."

Yeah, I was wondering where to see which or what type of compounds are regulated and need a license, and which are regulated only if accumulated in large quantities. I guess I could look these up in the law of Finland, but I really can't be arsed since it's damn hard to find anything from there. :)

"I basically think this applies to any explosives which are listed as "High Explosives" or anything which requires a license to possess."

Yeah, I was wondering where to see which or what type of compounds are regulated and need a license, and which are regulated only if accumulated in large quantities. I guess I could look these up in the law of Finland, but I really can't be arsed since it's damn hard to find anything from there. :)

The question Gilded asks is much more complex than he may think. There are many things in the world about which no one exactly knows are these legal or not because these are somewhere near the border and legality depends greatly of context. When someone deals with such things and case goes to court then jurists most probably also do not know, is this legal or not and then they will argue with each other and look for earlier cases and will decide something and will prosecute you ( or decide that you are not guilty ) according to that decision. And even then one may appellate to higher court and arguing continues still furter. It is someway absurdic because you can't be wiser about the law than all the jurists are but so it is.

Even if somewhere is list of illegal chemicals then there may be contexts where dealing with these, even if you are not licensed, is still legal. For leaarning purposes are many things legal that otherwise are'nt. Most useful information about legality may be data about similar precedents or court cases. Usually new cases go the same way as earlyer.

The question Gilded asks is much more complex than he may think. There are many things in the world about which no one exactly knows are these legal or not because these are somewhere near the border and legality depends greatly of context. When someone deals with such things and case goes to court then jurists most probably also do not know, is this legal or not and then they will argue with each other and look for earlier cases and will decide something and will prosecute you ( or decide that you are not guilty ) according to that decision. And even then one may appellate to higher court and arguing continues still furter. It is someway absurdic because you can't be wiser about the law than all the jurists are but so it is.

Even if somewhere is list of illegal chemicals then there may be contexts where dealing with these, even if you are not licensed, is still legal. For leaarning purposes are many things legal that otherwise are'nt. Most useful information about legality may be data about similar precedents or court cases. Usually new cases go the same way as earlyer.

^ Yeah I realize that. For example, anyone can possess radioactive ore or crystal samples, if they are for educational purposes. But still this bothers me, as I think I have seen a list about high explosives and such that shouldn't be in the possession of anyone but licensed scientists or the military, just can't remember where it was.

^ Yeah I realize that. For example, anyone can possess radioactive ore or crystal samples, if they are for educational purposes. But still this bothers me, as I think I have seen a list about high explosives and such that shouldn't be in the possession of anyone but licensed scientists or the military, just can't remember where it was.

If you are looking for list that has at least some juridical power then search in various law databases. Also you may ask librarian in local library, do they have some printed material about laws and regulations on dangerous chemicals.

Most expensive way is to go to law office and pay them for searching all the data you want.

If you are looking for list that has at least some juridical power then search in various law databases. Also you may ask librarian in local library, do they have some printed material about laws and regulations on dangerous chemicals.

Most expensive way is to go to law office and pay them for searching all the data you want.

in the US, you need a LEUP to posess a certain amount of low explosives...64 grams i believe. but, the manufacture of low explosives without a manufacturing license and several permits from the fire marshal of your state is i would assume, illegal.

in the US, you need a LEUP to posess a certain amount of low explosives...64 grams i believe. but, the manufacture of low explosives without a manufacturing license and several permits from the fire marshal of your state is i would assume, illegal.