Pre-Orgo

sysD

What concepts should one have completely locked down before attempting orgo?

Abbreviations acronyms and initialisms. I guess "orgo' is "organic chemisty"? :)

On a more serious note: It helps if you've heard of the periodic table, and it helps if you've finished your primary education levels of maths.

But apart from that, you can start with basic organic chemistry with practically no prior knowledge. I had it in my highschool in my 2nd year of chemistry, but the 1st year did not contain many topics that were essential for organic chemistry.

In summary: I guess you can just go straight ahead.

-electron configurations

-periodic table trends

-drawing/understanding chemical structures

-qualitative understanding of simple chemical thermodynamics/kinetics/equilibrium (general chemistry level)

Edited by mississippichem

thanks for the replies guys.

maybe i should ask a different question:

for one seeking an A+ in university ochem (aka orgo)... which concepts would be useful to master BEFORE starting the semester?

(even if they are only intro'd once in ochem)

• 3 weeks later...

for one seeking an A+ in university ochem (aka orgo)... which concepts would be useful to master BEFORE starting the semester?

In order for organic chemistry to make sense, you have to know valence bond and molecular orbital theories. How to draw structures, a full understanding of acids and bases - including + especially Lewis Acids + Bases. Basic thermodynamics concerning entropy, enthalpy, free energy, reaction progress, bond strength according to energy required to break/energy released when forming, etc. Basics with kinematics, and equilibrium constants (to know what parts of the molecule will react first). That will make the rest of it instinctive (aside from the must be memorized parts, like nomenclature).

• 2 months later...

Most professors assume you forgot everything over the summer anyway, if you want to be really prepared re-study the chapters on molecular bonding theories and make sure the basics like mole conversions and balancing equations are still second nature, on my first orgo test I got the entire first page wrong because I forgot how to do simple mole conversions.

Most of the stuff, however, is new. If you did well in gen chem, then you will relearn the repeated stuff really fast.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want an A+ in Organic Chemistry, then I have a few suggestions for you.

(1) Study 20 hours per week, non-negotiable.

(2) Be able to draw Lewis structures for every reagent and functional group you encounter.

(3) Realize that Organic Chemistry is a course in applied logic and deductive reasoning, not memorization.

(4) Read my article, 9 Golden Rules for Success in Organic Chemistry

(5) Read my article, Drama of the Alarms - Call for Time Management

(6) Work as many problems as humanly possible. When finished, do them again.

(7) Make compound flash cards for all functional groups, indicating pKa data, IR bands, 1H NMR chemical shifts.

(8) Make reaction flash cards for every reaction class, being certain to understand the mechanisms.

(9) Get ready to take exams with problems you've never seen before. Acing O-Chem is all about quick thinking and logic.

I wish you the best of luck!

One last thing, if you haven't started O-Chem yet, now's the best time to try an innovation I'm using in conjunction with a neuroscientist colleague. Every one of my students is being encouraged to work Sukoku puzzles daily if possible. Everything you need to know about the strategy is in the article,

Sudoku for Organic Chemistry Mastery

http://lennoxtutoring.com/2012/08/10/sudoku-for-organic-chemistry-mastery/

I welcome you to try it, and I hope you stay with it. Now I have to find a few profs to help me with an experiment for the fall.