Why there are "ionic water" in water??

albertlee

well, yes, but shouldn't it look like solid??? that's why it is interesting... they are both ionic and molecules representing in water...., but more likely they are mostly molecules, and if there are ions....why we dont get the solid water when we evaporate the molecules??

Albert

HOH is NOT ionic. There is no ionic bond whatsoever in there. Zero. Zilch. None. There is a strongly polar covalent bond, but zero ionic bonding. What happens when H+ meets OH- is that they combine and form a polar covalent bond. The bond exhibits covalent properties and not ionic.

nope, not that actually. i read an article somehwere involving water being a larger molecule than h2o. i'll look for it later when i finish my ap us history paper

Like hydrogen bonding, holding it together? But that would make ice...

Or do you mean like how you can't have a salt molecule (single Na-Cl ) but rather a lattice that makes an ionic solid?

Water is ionic due to the bond angles and eletronegativity difference. Otherwise water would be like CO2

.......+

H...H

.\./

..O -

CO2

O-C-O

Man its hard to draw out molecules in vbulltin...

Water is NOT ionic. If it was, distilled water would carry an electrical current. Also, your drawing of CO2 is incorrect. It should be O=C=O which is nothing like water since water contains no double bonds. The electronegativity difference between hydrogen and oxygen is less than two, so the bond is considered polar covalent. Ionic bonds occur when the electronegativity difference between the two bonding atoms is greater than 2.0. A molecule, however, does not need to be ionic in order to generate ions when placed into a solution or involved in a reaction. Take HCl, HBr, HI, and most other acids, for instance. Those are all covalently bonded molecules, but when placed in solution they form ions. :D

Water is NOT ionic. If it was, distilled water would carry an electrical current. Also, your drawing of CO2 is incorrect. It should be O=C=O which is nothing like water since water contains no double bonds. The electronegativity difference between hydrogen and oxygen is less than two, so the bond is considered polar covalent. Ionic bonds occur when the electronegativity difference between the two bonding atoms is greater than 2.0. A molecule, however, does not need to be ionic in order to generate ions when placed into a solution or involved in a reaction. Take HCl, HBr, HI, and most other acids, for instance. Those are all covalently bonded molecules, but when placed in solution they form ions. :D

Sorry I ment polar...

MY ascii drawing was unclear... I know its = not -

nope, not that actually. i read an article somehwere involving water being a larger molecule than h2o. i'll look for it later when i finish my ap us history paper

Could this be it?

http://www.aip.org/pnu/2003/split/648-1.html

A water molecule's chemical formula is really not H2O, at least from the perspective of neutrons and electrons interacting with the molecule for only attoseconds (1 attosecond=10-18 seconds). According to new and recent experiments, neutrons and electrons colliding with water for just attoseconds will see a ratio of hydrogen to oxygen of roughly 1.5 to 1, so a more

Or maybe your thinking of some hydrogen isotopes like deuterium and tritium, in which case the mass would be more.

aha!

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/molecule.html

The water molecule is often described in school and undergraduate textbooks of as having four, approximately tetrahedrally arranged, sp3-hybridized electron pairs, two of which are associated with hydrogen atoms leaving the two remaining lone pairs. In a perfect tetrahedral arrangement the bond-bond, bond-lone pair and lone pair-lone pair angles would all be 109.47° and such tetrahedral bonding patterns are found in condensed phases such as hexagonal ice.