Simple questions about wound healing?

scilearner

Hello everyone,

X2604-H-08.png

1. My first question is when there is a wound, blood leaks and collects in the space as shown in the A diagram. Is it this blood that clots and fills the wound?

2. Now if the wound contracts a lot in C diagram, how can there be a scar left. Also epithelium always heals, so can not it hide the scar tissue. I mean why do we see darker scars in wounds. Isn't the epithelium over it unable to hide it?

1. Platelets and fibrin from the blood and bone marrow is what clots a cut.

2. Contraction over extended periods can cause damage and the precise nature of contraction is still under investigation. Human skin isn't entirely made of epithelial cells, it is also made of an extra cellular matrix that is composed of protein fibers like collagen and elastin, as well as other molecular components such as melanin. I believe the major contributor to the appearance of normal scar tissue is in fact the sheeting action of collagen where in scar tissue it is substantially different. The degree of vascularization in damaged skin also contributes to the appearances of scar tissue, as well as the lack of hair follicles and sweat glands. I have to re-review though it has been a while.

Edited by Xittenn