Power home with water

meows

This is the concept. 12 volt system/to 120 ac

We have a 130amp truck alternator that I want to put in a water proof container with a either chain drive or belt drive to a underwater ( must be completly submerged ) waterwheel or a fan ( thinking of a prop off a marine engine ) we have at least 24 feet per second of water flow at the height of summer. with 130 feet per second flow at spring thaw.

It is a 450 foot run to the batteries we have from the river. would 12 gage wire work?

Do not know enough about using a gear or set of gears to run the system as i am worried the belt drive would be labor intensive.

We have the alternator, 12 6volt batteries and 3 inverters. two inverters are pure sine and 2 are modified sine.

Question is the best way to set up the alternator to a ( fan? prop? waterwheel? ) and the method to make the connections. chain, gears. or a belt?

Due to security reasons. (theft, etc) the system will have to be underground-underwater.

Ampacity is the maximum amount of electrical current a conductor or device can carry before sustaining immediate or progressive deterioration. Also described as current rating or current-carrying capacity, ampacity is the RMS electric current which a device can continuously carry while remaining within its temperature rating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampacity

Table of AWG wire sizes

• 3 months later...

i suggest insted of submerging an alternater, build a water wheel that is capable of being attached to the alternater by drive shaft built out of steel. The main boddy of the water wheel should consist of a wheel made out of steel and blades made out of steel for higher rate of rotary energy to hydro electric energy convershion. the alternater should still be incased in a compleatly water proof enviroment, sugest dont submerge it. Water flow can cause corroshion due to contaminent and sediment in the water with will lead to water leakige and failiure of the system. Having the altinater on the end of a drive shaft is much safer. Shure building the system is laber intensive, but if you dont put your back in to something you dont gain its full potentioal..

(...) Shure building the system is laber intensive, but if you dont put your back in to something you dont gain its full potentioal..

I think meows was worried that the transmission could be inefficient...