Self-teaching physics

Andeh

here's my situation:

I want/need to learn more about modern physics. Until recently I was planning on studying this in college. My parents, however, that this is a stupid ambition...stupid enough for them not to fund my education in that feild. I am, however, allowed to study biology and chemistry, since then i'll have the potential to make money in pharmaceuticals. I'm happy enough to do that, but I still want an education in physics. I love thinking about, and the fundemental nature of the subject appeals to me. My only option, therefor, is to teach myself.

so can anyone who's been in my situation recommend any books/online courses for me? my education in math is up to calculus, and I've only taken one year of physics which taught us up to light, and included the basic equations. Still, admittably I find completely abstract/unaplied math hard to follow, so a book that is conceptual and eases me in to the more "hard-core" math would be perfect.

thanks in advance for the help.

here's my situation:

I want/need to learn more about modern physics. Until recently I was planning on studying this in college. My parents, however, that this is a stupid ambition...stupid enough for them not to fund my education in that feild. I am, however, allowed to study biology and chemistry, since then i'll have the potential to make money in pharmaceuticals. I'm happy enough to do that, but I still want an education in physics. I love thinking about, and the fundemental nature of the subject appeals to me. My only option, therefor, is to teach myself.

so can anyone who's been in my situation recommend any books/online courses for me? my education in math is up to calculus, and I've only taken one year of physics which taught us up to light, and included the basic equations. Still, admittably I find completely abstract/unaplied math hard to follow, so a book that is conceptual and eases me in to the more "hard-core" math would be perfect.

thanks in advance for the help.

First, your parents are wrong. Dead wrong.

University education is intended to foster learning, lifelong learning, about whatever it is that interests you. It is not some glorified trade school designed to prepare you for one specific career. Education is not the same thing as training.

You should study something that interests you and that will enable you to continue to learn long after your formal course work has ended. Physics could do that.

There are perfectly good careers doing academic and government research that is performed by physicists. It is true that there are relatively few such jobs and that competition is stiff. But they do exist and they are good jobs.

Moreover, while industry is much more comfortable with engineering degrees, physicists can do well in industry. Jobs over $100K are fairly common.

So, bottom line, while there is something to be said for an education that can lead to a decent income and career, it is also important that you study something that interests you. Physics clearly interests you, and physics can lead to that good career. It is your life. Follow your interests, not necessarily those of your parents.

Note that there are scholarships available to qualified students that can greatly defray the cost of an education. There are also on-campus jobs, sometimes helping perform research that might interest you. Do not let someone else dictate what you will study.

That said, were you to take an undergraduate degree in chemistry you could specialize in physical chemistry and thereby slant your course work towards physics. That would leave you an option of pursuing physics or chemical physics in graduate school -- and presumably with funding available that would put you outside of the immediate control of your parents.

Now, as far as mathematics books go, the first step would be to go over calculus again and understand from a conceptual and theoretical basis rather than the symbol pushing calculations typical of high-school calculus. A good book for that is Michael Spivak's Calculus. After that you will need to study calculus of several variables, which requires some linear algebra. For those subjects I recommend Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces by Paul Halmos and Calculus on Manifolds by Michael Spivak and either Elements of Real Analysis by Robert G. Bartle or Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin. Note that these are texts that get you up tothe junior/senior undergraduate level and that it is perfectly reasonable for you to take courses that use these or similar texts, even if you major in chemistry.

You did not ask about physics books, but rather than simply studying the relevant mathematics I also suggest that you do some reading in physics. One of the best physics ever written is The Feynman Lecctures on Physics by Feynman, Leighton and Sands. It is not particularly demanding of one's mathematical background, but the physical insight on exhibit from Feynman is pure magic. It might also help to motivate your study of relevant mathematics.

To further bolster DrRocket's excellent post - you are much more likely to excel in a subject that you enjoy and take interest in, and conversely you risk doing very badly when you commit to many years of study of some subject that engenders no passion. to do well at university is hard, and requires a lot of effort - this is so much easier when you love your subject. I learnt this through bitter experience of studying crumby subjects to get a good job and wallowing in mediocrity - when I found a subject right for me suddenly A-grades, Firsts, Distinctions etc became possible and a reality. There is plenty of time "later" for pragmatic and soulless decisions - you are young, follow your heart and enjoy learning.

thanks for the advice.

I agree completely that learning should be done for the sake of learning, and not nececerily money. I will try to study physics in college. but whatever happens, I'll probably have to start now to make up for my lousy math education.

... I'll probably have to start now to make up for my lousy math education.

If you are genuinely interested and work hard you will make up for that.

My mathematics straight out of school was abysmal. It was only while doing my undergraduate degree in physics that my interest grew.

My mathematics straight out of school was abysmal. It was only while doing my undergraduate degree in physics that my interest grew.

If everyone had to rely on their elementary and high school education in mathematics for either interest or content prior to entering a university, there would be very few professional mathematicians.

I started college and wasn't into mathematics and I was quite ignorant of its splendor. I took a calculus course, made an A and loved it. I now have a minor in mathematics and appreciate mathematics in all its frustrating beauty.

I blame my highschool and myself for not developing an appreciation for mathematics early. A wonderful teacher made all the difference for me and sparked my interest enough to pursue advanced mathematics outside of the classroom.

Don't be disheartened Andeh!

Edited by mississippichem