Language and thought

Tres Juicy

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to put this question but I think this is the right place.

When I think about something I use language, I "hear" the words in my head.

How do you think without language? for instance if you were born deaf (or raised by wolves or whatever...) what would your thoughts be like?

would there be a more abstract process of thought going on, or would you sort of "create" your own personal language of sorts to enable higher thought?

Any feedback welcome

Thanks,

Alan

Depending on what you mean by thinking, for most things you don't need think in words. Really the only time you need to think in words is when you are thinking about words. When you are trying to remember where something is you aren't usually giving yourself a description of the place, you think of the place. When you think of a cat you don't just think of the word "cat" you may picture a cat, think of the sound they make, etc.

What their thoughts would be like is impossible to say, just like if I were to ask you what your parent's thoughts are like. People that are deaf do have a language, in the US it's ASL. Sign language is processed just like other language except it doesn't use auditory stimuli. I would assume the parts of the brain used for speech are extremely useful for abstract thoughts, though language in itself is not completely necessary other than the ability to communicate those thoughts. That ability, communication, is what allows us to built upon ideas of the past, but it is not necessary for that communication to be auditory.