Making copper sulphate

Elliott007

Dunno, why don't you mix them together, heat them up and see any copper sulphate gets formed. Is it anhydrous copper sulphate your after? Making hydrated copper sulphate is pretty easy, I just put a piece of copper metal in a beaker then add sulphuric acid and a bit of peroxide and let the acid oxidise the copper for a few hours. Is your copper oxide red or black? Copper oxide is insoluble in water whereas copper sulphate and magnesium sulphate are soluble. I bet its easy to get a 1 way metathesis reaction going. Dissolve as much magnesium sulphate in water as you can then add the copper oxide. Boil the water if you have and I bet it'll turn blue.

Edited by ShitWhiskers

• 3 weeks later...

if you have any sulfuric acid, you could just add that to copper oxide, the solution will look black at first but as the copper oxide reacts it froms Copper Sulfate, just boil it down to evaporate the water and if any acid is remaining, then just add more copper oxide till no more dissolves and just filter off the insoluble oxide from the solution :)