delete files

mab

Hi,

I delete files with .tmp extension to recover my disk space. There are few tmp files, which I am unable to delete, why that happens.

In my Temp folder I see files with extension .04w or .07w. There are many of them, what is their purpose, can I delete them.

I want to ask about my .log files as well in my temp folder. Can you mention me their function, can I delete them.

Please do answer my questions that would be nice of you.

I delete files with .tmp extension to recover my disk space. There are few tmp files, which I am unable to delete, why that happens.

already explained above, they are in use.. alternatively they could be protected .tmp files. generally .tmp files which are in use are best not to delete as they are being used, reboot and try to delete them again (and in the end theres perennial's link in the above post) - mind .tmp files are nearly always very small, so you'd have to delete a lot of them to get anywhere!

In my Temp folder I see files with extension .04w or .07w. There are many of them, what is their purpose, can I delete them.

go to (on windows):

my computer > tools > foler options... > file types

and find them there, if your computer doesnt recognise them then they are probably used by another program and only that program can open them (such as a game might make its own .xyz files. only that game can read .xyz because it is a non-standard "made up" file type specifically designed for that game).

oh yeah, almost forgot... you can safely delete stuff in your temp folder... although it is not recommended to unless you really need that space as they are sometimes used by program (hence they are made in the first place) however these are non-essential usually speeding up files.

I want to ask about my .log files as well in my temp folder. Can you mention me their function, can I delete them.

you can delete them as they are in the temp folder. they are there just text files so you can safely open them. they normally include logs from programs, such as the last 5 files you opened in paint, so when paint opens you can select one of them.

again, they (as text files) are very small and it is not really said to delete them as they are soo small and increase performance and user ease.