thorium nitrate displacement reaction?

rogerxd45

so after lots of searching i have been unable to find out if it is possible to do a displacement reaction with thorium nitrate.

ive done the displacement reactions with silver nitrate as well as copper sulfate.

so i have some thorium nitrate that is my thorium sample for my element collection and i would much rather have thorium metal instead of a compound.

is it possible and if it is what metal should i use? copper, iron, aluminium, ect.

First, how on earth did you get thorium nitrate?

... I want some thorium nitrate.

Anyway, aluminum would be good, but magnesium would be best if you had it. Keep in mind, though, that pure thorium is attacked slowly by water.

<INSERT MASSIVE THORIUM RADIATION WARNING HERE>

I would suggest a lead-coated vial, or lead sheeting for keeping this stuff around.

First, how on earth did you get thorium nitrate?

... I want some thorium nitrate.

Anyway, aluminum would be good, but magnesium would be best if you had it. Keep in mind, though, that pure thorium is attacked slowly by water.

<INSERT MASSIVE THORIUM RADIATION WARNING HERE>

I would suggest a lead-coated vial, or lead sheeting for keeping this stuff around.

shoot me a pm

• 1 month later...

I was thinking it might be possible to do this via electrolysis. I know thorium metal is air stable for a long time. I actually found this thread googling the same question and decided to join. Once I figure out this forum I will post pictures of my element collection too.