How to make photoshop GIFs take up less space?

questionposter

So I'm working on projects with programmers, but I'm not the programmer. I can make GIFs using photoshop to take some time off the hands of the programmer, but GIF's take up a lot of space, so the question is:

Should I make GIF's since they can't get any smaller, or can the programmer make the game use less processing for animation if I just hand the separate frame images to them?

• 2 weeks later...

If your GIF image is not animation, then you can save it as a copy in photoshop, it will give you some options .. where you can lower its space, by decreasing number of colors used

If your image is an animation, then you have to first crack down your images, lower their quality .. then re-make the animation using the right configurations

If your GIF image is not animation, then you can save it as a copy in photoshop, it will give you some options .. where you can lower its space, by decreasing number of colors used

If your image is an animation, then you have to first crack down your images, lower their quality .. then re-make the animation using the right configurations

This is an oddly posed question. I think in general, in gaming as noted by our op, it's safe to say that the frames are usually submitted individually. This is often done in .tga format, and then depending on the engine they are compressed.

For example Source provides a tool that converts a series of .tga's to .vtf ( valve texture file ) which is compressed DXT or other format depending on the options chosen. This question is specific to the engine and tools being used, and so difficult to properly answer. . . . which I assume is why no one had? Targa takes up a lot of space : D

Edited by Wuz Here