Fermions on Speed

The title was a parody to swansons ''swans on tea.''

This is not a direct discussion of the nuetrino topic, so please do not merge.

I am simply going to ask everyone to reply with a ''yes'' or ''no''. I am keen to hear peoples ''no-beating-around-the-bush'' answers. I believe ''yes'' there is atleast one generation of neutrino which could have tachyonic tendancies.

Thank you for participating up front. If you want to give a reason, then please do. I won't as it would just be the same experimental evidence most of us are aware of independant of recent measurement results.

I would say "no", if forced to.

Tachyons are generally unstable in QFT, thus I would be very surprised if they are realised in nature. But then there maybe some clause and nature allows them.

The second reason is to do with causality. Tachyons lead us to question this notion. However, if say be some magic of neutrino mixing or something else meant that neutrons cannot be used to transmit information, then maybe tachyonic neutrinos are ok.

I would say "no", if forced to.

Tachyons are generally unstable in QFT, thus I would be very surprised if they are realised in nature. But then there maybe some clause and nature allows them.

The second reason is to do with causality. Tachyons lead us to question this notion. However, if say be some magic of neutrino mixing or something else meant that neutrons cannot be used to transmit information, then maybe tachyonic neutrinos are ok.

Yes... This seems to be the general explanations used, and i welcome such honesty. In the advent of violations of causlity recently led me back to Hawking's work on the Chronological Order of events. Macroscopic events cannot by his principle, be ever be allowed to cause violations. But this was formulated for macrosystems only. Perhaps a reforumation of Hawking's Chronologically-ordered principle should be investigated to allow a description for microsystems. Perhaps if one was to achieve this, we could also say that particle's are also subject to Chronological Protection.

Tachyons are unstable in what sense, do you mean this because of tachyon condensation?

Tachyons are unstable in what sense, do you mean this because of tachyon condensation?

Yes. The imaginary mass means the system is not stable and that any small fluctuations about this unstable point will destabilise the system. The system will then tend towards a stable state in which there are no tachyons.

This might not be the case if neutrinos are more exotic that "classical tachyons".

I know, next to nothing about tachyonic condensation. You're words triggered in my head though about it being ''unstable'' and reminded me of the tachyonic condensation which is heavily supported by string theory because string theory seems to permit their existences.

Of course, I was a bit dubious when I heard this because we seem to have evidence of tachyonic superconducters... so perhaps I am making a very radical pressumption based on what I have been told so far by yourself, but is there is a case (let this be hypothetical with no direct mathematical reason yet) which may allow a tachyon to move at this speed, the vacuum destabilisation, you said that the system will tend towards a more stable state in which there are no tachyons.

Now, is this meant to mean that a tachyon could exist, but not for long?

Does no one else wanna tell me what they think?

I think physics should never be underestimated... It usually goes beyond common sense....

However, if say be some magic of neutrino mixing or something else meant that neutrons cannot be used to transmit information, then maybe tachyonic neutrinos are ok.

Ajb, when you said tachyonic neutrino mixing, is this in reference to the generation oscillations of the nuetrino? Or is it something a bit more technical? Had me intruiged and I shuld have mentioned it the the day.