Why does my head hurt......

Acetominophen and paracetamol are just different names for the same thing, in the same way that we in the UK call epinephrine adrenaline and norepinephrine noradrenaline.

In single doses non-steriodal anti-inflammatories (e.g. ibuprofen,) have an analgesic activity comparable to paracetamol. Which painkiller you use for a hangover is down to personal preference really, though I would tend to use paracetamol as aspirin and ibuprofen irritate the stomach.

The co-codamol (paracetamol and codeine) available from pharmacies (e.g. solpadiene) probably won't have much of an effect above that of the paracetamol because the dose of codeine is too low, though it is high enough to cause constipation.

and also, as with most Opiate based medicines, it will surpress the Coughing reflex (as well as others). and so if you`ve been smoking or in a smokey pub/bar and dehydrated from the alc consumed, Sticky thick mucous from the lungs is to be expected also when the effects wear off :((

that in turn raises blood pressure by the coughing action and can in turn create a headache.

• 2 weeks later...

Acetaminophen and Acetylsalicylic Acid are probably two of the worst things you can take with a hangover. They are more toxic to your liver than ibuprofen is, and if there is still some alcohol or alcohol metabolites in your liver when you take those drugs, it can create incredibly dangerous hepatic toxins. Whenever I drink, if I absolutely need to take a painkiller it's Ibuprofen since it will not interact with the alcohol/metabolites to any extent and create those dangerous hepatic toxins.

this tip was given to me by a Scotish friend of mine called Greg, he recons that Iron-Bru cures hangovers!

I had the missfortune of having to put that to the test last summer (3hours sleep and a skin full during a BBQ party).

it Partly works! although not as good as some cures I`ve tried in the past, I can`t say it DOESN`T work though, but the only ingredient in there is Iron Ammonium Carbonate (or something like that) that differs from other soft drinks. appart from that it`s basicly the same as the rest and gives no real "Edge" for getting over it :(

Something to do with ketones that are formed from the excessive alcohol intake cause hangovers don't they...?

Thats why you have to drink lots of water in order to hydrolyse the ketones back into alcohol so that the liver can break it down and get rid of it through the urine...

Don't know if thats right tho...but thats what I was told in Alevel Biology...

this tip was given to me by a Scotish friend of mine called Greg' date=' he recons that Iron-Bru cures hangovers!

I had the missfortune of having to put that to the test last summer (3hours sleep and a skin full during a BBQ party).

it Partly works! although not as good as some cures I`ve tried in the past, I can`t say it DOESN`T work though, but the only ingredient in there is Iron Ammonium Carbonate (or something like that) that differs from other soft drinks. appart from that it`s basicly the same as the rest and gives no real "Edge" for getting over it :([/quote']

Well, thats an option if you can stomach a carbonated drink the morning after!

There was a rather timely article in the Pharmaceutical Journal this week about treatment and prevention of hangovers - the conclusion being that the only evidence based cure is time and rest.

http://www.pharmj.com/pdf/cpd/pj_20041204_hangovers.pdf

Acetaminophen and Acetylsalicylic Acid are probably two of the worst things you can take with a hangover. They are more toxic to your liver than ibuprofen is, and if there is still some alcohol or alcohol metabolites in your liver when you take those drugs, it can create incredibly dangerous hepatic toxins. Whenever I drink, if I absolutely need to take a painkiller it's Ibuprofen since it will not interact with the alcohol/metabolites to any extent and create those dangerous hepatic toxins.

Acetaminophen is a safe drug, providing you take it at the recomended dose. I saw an article that binge drinking increased acetaminophen-induced liver injury (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15513872)

but look at the dose of acetaminophen they gave to mice - 300mg/kg. If you take an adult as weighing 60kg, that would equate to a dose of 18 GRAMS of acetaminophen (or 36 tablets). I think your liver would be pretty knackered from that, whether alcohol was present or not!

actualy, although when Hungover you feel ill motovated to do much of anything, when put into a situation where you MUST WORK in fresh air and do physical excersize, it does tend to get rid of the effects quite well! much more so than being idle indoors or worse in bed all day!

this maybe a placebo effect, but a Virgin Mary with plenty of tobasco works wonders for me too, I actualy call it my "System reset"

and for those wondering, a Virgin Mary is like a Bloody Mary without the Vodka :)

I know that when the liver processes ethanol, it gets converted into acetaldehyde which isn't all too pleasant to have around. The acetaldehyde is then processed into the acetate ion thanks to various liver enzymes and good ol' NAD and NADH. However, if you drink too much there won't be enough NAD around to help break down the metabolites so the acetaldehyde will stick around in your system and make you very ill. In actuality, there are a LOT of things in relation to drinking that will make you feel ill the next day. The best cure, which has already been mentioned, is to drink a lot of water. The hydration will help lower the concentration of the alcohol and its metabolites, and will also help prevent dehydration. For me, when I start pissing what looks like water, it's time to start drinking a few glasses of water instead of beer/booze.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, first we think then we imagine. So, we think about how much we drank and imagine what we must feel like. Thus we create the symptoms previously suggested. Hangover is a definition of a state of being, if you drink a lot of alcohol, you actually alter your alkaline and base levels. When you increase your alkaline (or acid) levels you degree certain symptoms. One could be headache. Headache is typically caused when your capillaries are restrictred and blood flow altered to your brain. If you want to alleviate the throbbing or headache condition, then put your feet in a tub and splash cold water a dozen times on your feet, this will cause your brain activity to reverse your constricted capillaries and remove the tension caused by the altered alkaline level. You can add water, too, this will reduce the alkaline base. If you have many of the dehydration affects from alcohol levels, like cotton mouth, you can quickly offer remedy by holding a tea bag under your tongue for 20-30 minutes. The tea bag should be green or white tea, decaffeinated. This will get the medicinal affect into your blood stream much faster than drinking and metabolising the fluid. In fact, put a tea bag in your pocket in case you don't wake up at home. And, of course, your conditions could be directly influenced by the person you wake up with...therefore the internal scream might cause altered states of being. :eek:

that in turn raises blood pressure by the coughing action and can in turn create a headache.

That explains why i head starts to hurt if i laugh too long and hard.

(most things make me laugh alot, im starting to think whether i have an illness) i dont want to end up like Prak.