Are there any alternative computing engine of WolframAlpha?

little boy

Are there any alternative computing engine of WolframAlpha?

I don't think any one product does all of what Alpha does, especially if you're talking about its integrated access to large amounts of data.

There are a number of different computer algebra systems that have similar mathematical abilities to Alpha, but I do not know how many (if any) have its natural language input capabilities.

I had typed up a nice long reply discussing these, but lost it due to a browser mishap.

Instead here's a list:

http://en.wikipedia....algebra_systems

Edit: read through the list a bit as I hadn't heard of many of them. From that list alone it's hard to tell what might be useful.

Maxima is usually what I use when I want something free/not Alpha.

Sage is probably one of the most powerful, as it integrates many of the other systems under a common interface.

Edited by Schrödinger's hat

• 3 weeks later...

Sage is probably one of the most powerful, as it integrates many of the other systems under a common interface.

Awesome post Schrödinger's hat. I'm going to have to check out Sage. It does just about everything Mathematica can do except Diophantine equations. The best part is that it is licensed under GPL.

Edited by Daedalus