What will happen to the liquid level in the capillary tube if (b) distilled water

Primarygun

Hypo =under or less. Hyper = above or over (more of less).

the distiled water will want to "Float" much in the same way that layers can be made in some cocktail drinks, the least dense "floating" on the surface.

I picture it like putting a wooden rod inside a tube, then pushing the tube under the water, the wooden rod will rise up through the tube :)

So......does osmosis play a role in any of this (even though there is a lack of membrane)? Doesn't water flow from a high to a low concentration?

If that were the case it would be interesting, because it would seem that in the absence of a membrane, the water would be pushed up through the tube. However, if you added some sort of semi-permeable membrane, it would seem that the water would move down it's gradient, and the opposite effect would happen (water moves out of the capillary tube, and into the sucrose).

if the end of the tube were somehow blocked to stop the water from escaping, in time the 2 would mix, same happens with these cocktails if you leave them to stand long enough, being a liquid the molecules vibrate and that mixes them slowly over time :)

Hypo =under or less. Hyper = above or over (more of less).

the distiled water will want to "Float" much in the same way that layers can be made in some cocktail drinks' date=' the least dense "floating" on the surface.

I picture it like putting a wooden rod inside a tube, then pushing the tube under the water, the wooden rod will rise up through the tube :)[/quote']

The confusing part here is whether the hypo and hyper are referring to the solute or the solvent...... in this case it refers to the solute (salt/sugar, etc, etc) and not the solvent (water). Hypotonic = less concentrated solution, Hypertonic = more concentrated solution. I guess it makes sense if you think of it in terms of concentration..... as the solute is always the governing factor... although it could equally be the otherway round... its just that this way we work with the lesser thing.

If that were the case it would be interesting, because it would seem that in the absence of a membrane, the water would be pushed up through the tube. However, if you added some sort of semi-permeable membrane, it would seem that the water would move down it's gradient, and the opposite effect would happen (water moves out of the capillary tube, and into the sucrose).

If the tube is connected to a dialysis tubing, the water level drops.

I am not sure whether the level of final level is equal to the level of the sugar solution.

But I am sure that the water potentials of both positions are the same.