Speed and Accuracy

rktpro

I am really concerned about my future. I am studying in class 10 and I want to pursue aeronautical engineering in future (My schooling pattern is different here)

What I am concerned about is the fact that I am not good in mathematics now ( I used to be excellent earlier). If I do a test in speed, it lacks accuracy and if I do it with accuracy-it lacks speed. I am really shattered about my performance. Though I practice much and I am also interested in topics well off from school curriculum but of importance.

Anyone please guide me. How to develop speed and accuracy? Is it only in practice or anything else?

Also, should I go only with my school syllabus and stop reading or studying anything else related to subject?

What age is class 10? At age 14ish my maths was suffering and a new teacher turned it round - he was actually the games master, and whilst he could not have done a'level teaching (ages17-18) he was great at spotting weaknesses and a superb teacher (h/t to Mick Marmion). he realised that messiness and sloppiness were my achilles heal - i didnt not understand that good presentation and layout not only made it easier for teachers to give me marks, it improved my methodology by forcing me to consider each step and the logical progression between them. My earlier scrawl also stopped me scanning quickly to spot any mistakes, practically ensured that I would get no marks for method if my final answer had an arithmetic error, but most importantly stopped me being able to understand the process on a mechanical step-by-step level (I understood on a purely intuitive method). Just my two-pennyworth.

What age is class 10? At age 14ish my maths was suffering and a new teacher turned it round - he was actually the games master, and whilst he could not have done a'level teaching (ages17-18) he was great at spotting weaknesses and a superb teacher (h/t to Mick Marmion). he realised that messiness and sloppiness were my achilles heal - i didnt not understand that good presentation and layout not only made it easier for teachers to give me marks, it improved my methodology by forcing me to consider each step and the logical progression between them. My earlier scrawl also stopped me scanning quickly to spot any mistakes, practically ensured that I would get no marks for method if my final answer had an arithmetic error, but most importantly stopped me being able to understand the process on a mechanical step-by-step level (I understood on a purely intuitive method). Just my two-pennyworth.

Yeah, it's about 14. That is what I skip- The logical progression between steps. What about off syllabus part?

I have no idea if it will help you, but it helped me immensely to actually write down neatly the steps - even when I did the problem seamlessly from question to answer.

On the off syllabus side; difficult.... if you are using leisure time to read about and around maths then no problem. if, however, it is eating into study time you have a problem. The pressure to study is terrible - I hated it at that age I thrive on it now - and the best way to ensure you study is to study well. That means not inventing reasons to be doing something else that is related to study but isnt the hard grind - reading outside the syllabus when you are meant to be studying falls into that category.

I am really concerned about my future. I am studying in class 10 and I want to pursue aeronautical engineering in future (My schooling pattern is different here)

What I am concerned about is the fact that I am not good in mathematics now ( I used to be excellent earlier). If I do a test in speed, it lacks accuracy and if I do it with accuracy-it lacks speed. I am really shattered about my performance. Though I practice much and I am also interested in topics well off from school curriculum but of importance.

Anyone please guide me. How to develop speed and accuracy? Is it only in practice or anything else?

Also, should I go only with my school syllabus and stop reading or studying anything else related to subject?

Don't worry about speed. That will come naturally.

Engineers not only must calculate, they must present their calculations to others with clarity. Focus on writing out your problem and solutions so as to be able to present to someone eldse, the problem, the approach to a solution, the logic of that approach and finally the actual solution. By doing that you will force yourself to understand the underlying principles which is the ultimate source of accuracy. Speed will come with expeerience and practice.

I have no idea if it will help you, but it helped me immensely to actually write down neatly the steps - even when I did the problem seamlessly from question to answer.

On the off syllabus side; difficult.... if you are using leisure time to read about and around maths then no problem. if, however, it is eating into study time you have a problem. The pressure to study is terrible - I hated it at that age I thrive on it now - and the best way to ensure you study is to study well. That means not inventing reasons to be doing something else that is related to study but isnt the hard grind - reading outside the syllabus when you are meant to be studying falls into that category.

I have just noticed that I can do problems better when done neatly. Yeah, it works. But I get terrified and nervous during school tests. This has started happening just recently. I do practice at home but I still get terrified there.

Don't worry about speed. That will come naturally.

Engineers not only must calculate, they must present their calculations to others with clarity. Focus on writing out your problem and solutions so as to be able to present to someone eldse, the problem, the approach to a solution, the logic of that approach and finally the actual solution. By doing that you will force yourself to understand the underlying principles which is the ultimate source of accuracy. Speed will come with expeerience and practice.

That was really a confidence booster. I have realised that I lagged in logical approach! If I knew the procedure, I would implement that on other questions but I wouldn't think of 'why this'. I am thankful to you.

Edited by rktpro