Callipygous means beautiful ass

Martin

The greeks had a competition for women where they danced and showed off

their bods and this competition was called the Callipygean Games

Kalos is beautiful and Pyge is buttocks

so Callipygous means "has nice buns" or graceful ass or whatever, you figure it out.

Linguistics is a science. why doesnt this board have a forum where Linguistics belongs. And etymology (word origins). maybe it does. maybe "General Science" is the right place for linguistics-related stuff

Main Entry: ac·e·tab·u·lum

Pronunciation: -'ta-by&-l&m

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -lums or ac·e·tab·u·la /-l&/

Etymology: Latin, literally, vinegar cup, from acetum vinegar

1 : a ventral sucker of a trematode

2 : the cup-shaped socket in the hipbone

- ac·e·tab·u·lar /-l&r/ adjective

Why "vinegar cup" why not "wine cup"? Did people drink vinegar from a cup or did they just have horrible wine?

perhaps it`s taken from "Vine" like in Grape Vines or vinyards ?

or maybe Vine comes from Vinegar?

"V" and "W" in Cyrillic sound similar too (originaly Greek) in Russian it looks like the letter "B" maybe that`s where Vine becomes Wine?

seems like a Chicken/Egg thing really? :(

Why "vinegar cup" why not "wine cup"? Did people drink vinegar from a cup or did they just have horrible wine?

I believe the Romans drank vinegar as a refreshment' date=' though this was mainly restricted to slaves and soldiers. When the Roman centurion offered Christ vinegar on the cross it was an arguably an act of compassion.

why doesnt this board have a forum where Linguistics belongs. And etymology
Excellent idea. It has my vote. I have observed that several thread debates revolve around 'same words, different meaning'. So perhaps we could expand it to include semantics (if you know what I mean!)

Vinegar comes from 'Vino Negro', or black wine. The fermenting process is quite similar but but if the wrong micro-organisms get into the mix ethanoic acid (acetic acid) is made from the ethanol and wine becomes vinegar. The oxidation of ethanol to acetate happens slowly anyways, so an opened bottle of wine turns sour.