Learning science/physics through a novel

Marc1

Came across this recently published book which tells the history of physics named Fizz. So far I've read about the meetings of "Fizz" (a young woman from the future) with Aristotle, Copernicus, Galileo, Newton. Waiting to see how the book presents the harder stuff - Einstein and quantum physics. It's actually a fun way to learn - the book reminds me a lot of Sophie's World, a novel which has been a pretty popular introduction to philosophy since the 90s. Anyone else reading it? Thoughts on learning science via historical fiction?

Sounds interesting. We read Sophie's World in my World History class this year. i really enjoyed it. It makes learning things very interesting when combining them with history and modern people. I might get this book and read it. Thanks for the post!

Came across this recently published book which tells the history of physics named Fizz. So far I've read about the meetings of "Fizz" (a young woman from the future) with Aristotle, Copernicus, Galileo, Newton. Waiting to see how the book presents the harder stuff - Einstein and quantum physics. It's actually a fun way to learn - the book reminds me a lot of Sophie's World, a novel which has been a pretty popular introduction to philosophy since the 90s. Anyone else reading it? Thoughts on learning science via historical fiction?

Very interesting. I've known many students developing a hatred for physics so for a little more than a year I have been putting together some lessons in physics which they would find more enjoyable than formulas in a book. The site is still under development but you can check out www.vivaphysics.com.

Nice to see other approaches too.