What does a clutch in a manual car do and how it works?

scilearner

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I want to know what does the clutch in a manual car do. I have absolutely zero knowledge on car mechanics and would be greatful if someone can explain this to me simply.

1. Why do you need a clutch?

In a car, you need a clutch because the engine spins all the time, but the car's wheels do not. In order for* a car to stop without killing the engine, the wheels need to be disconnected from the engine somehow. The clutch allows us to smoothly engage a spinning engine to a non-spinning transmission by controlling the slippage between them.

I don't understand what they are saying in this. Also why auto cars don't kill the engine, they have no clutch.

2.A clutch is that part of engine which engages or disengages power from the engine crankshaft to transmission?

I don't understand these technical terms what is crankshaft and what is transmission? Is there any ebook or video or something for me to learn these basic terms.

3. What is a clutch plate?

Clutch_explosion.jpg

I found this good pic, but I don't understand it much. So you have flywheel attached to engine, then clutch plate and pressure plate. Where is the wheel in this pic is it attached to drive shaft. Are there 4 clutch plates for a car with 4 wheels?

4. Basically how a clutch works?

*I don't really want to know too much on mechanical side but if I want to drive a manual car, the basic knowledge I must have on clutch. Excuse my poor knowledge.

I don't understand what they are saying in this. Also why auto cars don't kill the engine, they have no clutch.

Auto cars DO have a clutch, its just controlled automatically (hence, automatic transmission).

The clutch (in its simplest form) consists of two plates, one on the shaft from the mototr and the other on the drive shaft. These are brought together slowly and there will be a friction force between the spinning and non-spinning plate. pressure is applied slowly (relatively) to increase the friction force when the friction force is high enough, the car will roll forward and the plate on the drive shaft will catch up to the engine speed and then the clutch can be fully engaged with no issue.

2.A clutch is that part of engine which engages or disengages power from the engine crankshaft to transmission?

I don't understand these technical terms what is crankshaft and what is transmission? Is there any ebook or video or something for me to learn these basic terms.

have you tried googling them? or looking in a dictionary?

3. What is a clutch plate?

I found this good pic, but I don't understand it much. So you have flywheel attached to engine, then clutch plate and pressure plate. Where is the wheel in this pic is it attached to drive shaft. Are there 4 clutch plates for a car with 4 wheels?

cars only need one clutch, it usually before the gear box. some cars however, do have multiple clutches although this is usually in high performance cars to reduce the time it takes to change gears or in heavy duty engines where many gears are necessary.

Edited by insane_alien

Auto cars DO have a clutch, its just controlled automatically (hence, automatic transmission).

Many automatic cars use a torque converter in place of the clutch. Computer controlled friction clutches have become more popular over recent times.

Here is a link to torque converters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

Here is a link to electrohydraulic manual transmission. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrohydraulic_manual_transmission

My own car has a six speed Tiptronic transmission which I can run as a manual or automatic with computer controlled gear shifts. I'm not sure whether it uses a torque converter or a clutch...... (Later) I have just Googled "Tiptronic" and it seems I have a torque converter instead of a clutch! These days all I do is drive the thing!

Edited by TonyMcC