Evaporating fisheries in the world

A number of popular game fish and food stock fish were recently placed on the threatened list, IIRC. With such a healthy component of peoples' diets disappearing from the menu, it's pretty much inevitable to have a detrimental impact on the health of the world's people. Not only will they be missing an excellent source of low fat protein that will inevitably be replaced by saturated fats, articial additives, and the like, but also the only substantial source of Omega 3 fats in coldwater fish. There are already a number of stocking and fish farming projects in the world. I wonder how big of an impact they have on a worldwide scale, probably nominal, at best. Since Omega 3's are only substantial in coldwater fish, I wonder just how critical it is, since the rest of the world don't have access to it. I suppose that the body is able to make do with alpha-linolenic acid from grains, though the conversion process is nowhere near as efficient. I wonder what predominantly hunters did, probably didn't live very long.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110707141201.htm

Edited by Realitycheck

• 3 weeks later...