About Cable and ADSL.......

albertlee

When we have Dynamic IP for ADSL or Cable,

Does the ADSL ISP provide a kind of software that needs to be executed in order to connect to the Internet and obtain an IP address?

And for Cable, why it does not need a software for obtaining IP? I got cable Internet connection and it is on all the time that I thoght I have a fixed IP.....

Apreciate for furthur responds

static IP: You are assigned (or make your own) one IP address that is yours for as long as you keep your service.

dynamic IP: The term used to describe how IP address is dynamically assigned to computers as and when needed. Unlike Static IP addresses, the IP address is temporary e.g. when you connect to your ISP using a dial-up connection , you PC or router will be dynamically assigned an IP address whilst you are on-line. (common for DSL ISPs) also, funnily dynaimc address do not always change, whilsts a new IP is assigned every cycle (dependant on server) i have seen the server give each computer the same IP every time! thus giving a 'on-lookers' effect of a static IP.

ADSL ISP presumably need to send the IP via the internet, whereas cable it can be send through the cables (without actaully using the internet)!

(dunno really, thats just a guess!)

maybe im missing something, but my ADSL is on all the time, at least, ive never found it offline! (and i have dynamic IP) must my service be taken offline to change my IP?

just find it in the router configurations, there will be a static/dynamic IP address tick box somewhere. heres an image of mine, all values are set to 0 so i do not have a static IP.

NB: you will need to contact your ISP before you do this, as they assign your IP at the moment, if you change it, you may stop getting internet from them!

also remember to save your settings and reboot the router (option should be somewhere) because the settings wont take place until then.

router.JPG

since I want to share this IP address though NAT for more than one computer to access Internet

a router works by giving each computer on the network its own IP address (dynamic, as its assigned by the router). what you were just talking about is the routers IP address (asigned by the ISP), this is know as the external IP as it is how people 'see' your computer... through the router, however your router sees the outside world and inside world (your network).

this is how (basicaly) routers work and how routers split the internet connection.

your router also as an internal IP adress, mine is 10.0.0.2, my external IP i will not reveal, as that is how people can hack you, using the "outside" external routers IP address. to configure your router you wanna type the routers internal IP address into IE of FF. (just by itself, no \\ ONLY the routers internal IP)

cable networks are just that. A network. Cable broadband is really nothing more then a giant network, a wan. It assigns dynamic IP's the same way your router does it.

About dynamic ip's and changing. I've noticed my IP stays the same as well, and it is dynamic. However, if I wish to change it, you have to disconnect and refresh your connection. Roadrunner has a lil tool called "roadrunner medic" which can do this for you, and my memory is rusty but windows has a built in tool to do this I think you can run it by going to Start>Run> and typing "ipconfig" something to that effect.

You can also right click on my network places, go to properties. This will display a list of network connection, which you can right click and disable, then right click and reenable. This should give you a new IP.

Otherwise, IP's change randomly.

in DOS mode:

ipconfig /renew

renews IP addresses for the specified adapater, but im not sure how or where in that you specify the adapter!

"Otherwise, IP's change randomly"

or they just never change at all, or at least, highly infrequently,

dynamic IP: an IP address assigned by the ISP to a client for the current session or some other specified amount of time. This form of IP addressing is commonly used for consumer DSL service.

so i think that try re-starting you internet connection (as mentioned by drz last post) if that doesnt work then you're dynamic external IP will change every time your ISP wants it to! this is not very frequent as it is non-practical due to time, effort and all IPs need to be checked to see if they are taken before one can be assigned! (even if the other one is with a different ISP, no two external IPs can be the same... ever)

"cable networks are just that. A network. Cable broadband is really nothing more then a giant network, a wan"

cable networks are just a network... yeah, cable broadband is a giant network, as is DSL internet, after all, all internet is just a big WAN, um, no offense meant, just that seemsd a random and pointless paragraph.... anyway.... moving on!

except that they hardly ever change on a DSL account (or any broadband) as the internet connection is always on, so it never gets time to change, unless the ISP disconnected you, but that would be pointless - never happens + makes the customers upset because they loose their connection for something half of them dont understand!

mine usually refreshes around 3:00 am each morning, but normally leases the same IP.

likely, every service provider is different, and as we are across the pond from one another, its probably really, really different.

mine usually refreshes around 3:00 am each morning, but normally leases the same IP.
well if mine did that then obviously i couldnt tell, i dont reguarly check my external IP but i will start, can i tell if it is refreshed to the same IP (like what drz has)?