Chronular fantasia theory

md65536

Quite a few people on the internets seem to simply not "believe" in SR, and are trying to figure out time while holding onto that belief.

I don't get why anyone would try to figure it out while denying the reality of SR. I can see questioning the evidence of SR, but given the evidence, trying to figure out time according to ideas incompatible with SR seems to involve figuring out something incompatible with reality. How can you figure out time while reasoning about ideas that are not based in reality? It is essentially reasoning based on fantasy. You can claim anything you want to, if you're not concerned with reality.

For fun I thought I'd try it (while still considering the forum rules). Perhaps consider the topic to be "any fantastic ideas about time" and feel free to suggest wildly different directions. This is for fun but the value of it might be in inspiring new ideas?

Chronular Fantasia Theory (CFT)

Assumption 1a: SR is wrong wrong wrong!

Assumption 1b: (Corollary) Reality is also wrong.

Reasoning:

1. Events are clearly made up of a series of individual instants. Instants can be considered infinitely thin (in the time dimension) slices of reality.

2. Since instants have no depth in the time dimension, it is impossible for any 2 instants to overlap each other. Therefore no 2 instants can occur at the same time. One must always precede or succeed another. That is, no part of an event may happen at the same time as another part of any event. Therefore, no 2 events can happen at the same time.

3. Since all instants are separate, they can be put in a definite order, like a stack of library index cards. The passing of time involves going through these index cards in order, and implementing the "instant" described on the index card.

4. Since any 2 particles moving would have to be considered separate events, it's clear that an instant can only involve at most one particle. So an instant must be a single change that occurs in only one place in the universe.

Conclusion:

The passing of time is the sequential processing of tiny individual changes to single particles.

Events that you witness, such as a blade of grass blowing in the wind, involve many particles each waiting their turn to move, in order. These changes are interspersed with all the other minuscule changes in the universe.

It only seems to happen all at once because of the super high rate at which the instants occur. I'm talking about millions of instants per minute!

5. It must be that all instants occur at fixed intervals in the time dimension. This is what makes it appear that all clocks tick at the same fixed rate.