me

Ghaz

i m a 3rd year microbiology student ........i hardly reach 1st division marks ......dont know how will i get chance to msc ......can anyone tell me about the competitive exams n future scope for poor students like me in microbiology

i m a 3rd year microbiology student ........i hardly reach 1st division marks ......dont know how will i get chance to msc ......can anyone tell me about the competitive exams n future scope for poor students like me in microbiology

Doing a MSc degree could be a good way of recovering from your poor undergraduate marks. However, it would require a lot of effort from you. If you are sure this is the way you want to go then good luck. If not, other people here can comment on the job prospects with an undergrad degree in microbiology, other than it is my impression that people always need laboratory technicians and employment prospects are good. (But listen to expert advice here, not mine)

Edited by ajb

I know at least one person who was a poor undergrad chemistry student (made a lot of C's). He went on to get a decent job for a few years though and ended up getting into a PhD program probably based on an excellent letter of recommendation from a prominent employer. Recovery is possible but will require some blood, sweat, and tears. Put on your poker face and don't give up!

If you are able to fund your own postgraduate studies, then you can always get an MSc, even with less than stellar grades. If you don't already have sufficient private resources, it might be worth working for a year after your B.S. to accumulate the money for a self-funded MSc year.

Something they never tell you when you are an undergraduate or graduate student is that once you are on the academic job market, it is considered impolite for anyone ever to ask for your transcripts, so no one ever finds out what your grades were! All they want to know is what degrees you have, what you have published, and who is recommending you. I have gotten academic teaching positions without ever even showing my degree certificates; listing my degrees myself on a piece of paper called a 'c.v.' somehow always sufficed, which seems astonishingly lax of the academic establishment, but that's the way it operates.

I was a terrible student at the university level, and final realized some students could do so much better, because they had better study skills and better study habits. Might taking a class in study skills help?

I hate the pressure of university but love education, so I rely on the The Teaching Company. You could buy DVD's of college lectures, and study on your time. Perhaps take an incomplete in the class work, and return after watching DVD's to complete the class? I think the classes, being able to speak with the professor and other students is really important, but some of us need all the extra help we can get.

http://www.thegreatc...l.aspx?cid=1500

Wouldn't it be hard to look for a job, without confidence in what you know?

Edited by Athena

hey thx alot for ur reply but i always hesitate asking q to my teachers ....did u face the same prob too?

I was a terrible student at the university level, and final realized some students could do so much better, because they had better study skills and better study habits. Might taking a class in study skills help?

I hate the pressure of university but love education, so I rely on the The Teaching Company. You could buy DVD's of college lectures, and study on your time. Perhaps take an incomplete in the class work, and return after watching DVD's to complete the class? I think the classes, being able to speak with the professor and other students is really important, but some of us need all the extra help we can get.

http://www.thegreatc...l.aspx?cid=1500

Wouldn't it be hard to look for a job, without confidence in what you know?

hey ajb thx for the reply ya

Doing a MSc degree could be a good way of recovering from your poor undergraduate marks. However, it would require a lot of effort from you. If you are sure this is the way you want to go then good luck. If not, other people here can comment on the job prospects with an undergrad degree in microbiology, other than it is my impression that people always need laboratory technicians and employment prospects are good. (But listen to expert advice here, not mine)

thx alot but my marks is just 58% in 1st yr n i just gave my second yr .....going to join tution now do u think it will help?

I know at least one person who was a poor undergrad chemistry student (made a lot of C's). He went on to get a decent job for a few years though and ended up getting into a PhD program probably based on an excellent letter of recommendation from a prominent employer. Recovery is possible but will require some blood, sweat, and tears. Put on your poker face and don't give up!

thx a ton for ur reply

If you are able to fund your own postgraduate studies, then you can always get an MSc, even with less than stellar grades. If you don't already have sufficient private resources, it might be worth working for a year after your B.S. to accumulate the money for a self-funded MSc year.

Something they never tell you when you are an undergraduate or graduate student is that once you are on the academic job market, it is considered impolite for anyone ever to ask for your transcripts, so no one ever finds out what your grades were! All they want to know is what degrees you have, what you have published, and who is recommending you. I have gotten academic teaching positions without ever even showing my degree certificates; listing my degrees myself on a piece of paper called a 'c.v.' somehow always sufficed, which seems astonishingly lax of the academic establishment, but that's the way it operates.