Ventrilo Server Hosting (Port Forwarding)

Guest demonic

Guest demonic

Hello,

My Highschool Operates on a T1 connection and I wanted to host a ventrilo server that I can open to the public. I know I must forward ports but from what I hear that has to be done downtown. Is there anyway I can forward these ports from a computer at school?

firstly, i doubt you personally can do it because you will not have the access rights.

but a senior member in your school may do, not saying that the school will support the move, but it would be possible.

port forwarding is just configuring the router to send data from a certain port (the forwarded port) to a certain computer (defined by an internal IP address)

the chances are your school network will be woring behind a server (which acts in this case, similarly to a router), you'll probably want the internet server... you then just need to go into the port forwarding section and type in the ports in the suitable box... more precise details depends on the server itself and even if you tell me the model number unless i have it in front of me i still couldnt do it as i havent remember server layouts off by heart!

however your school system admin should know where it is.

to answer your question directly: any computer which has access rights to the server (or router) can configure the router and can therefore forward ports.

normally routers and servers are password protected (otherwise anyone could access / hack them) so you will need to find the right person who has the password 'lists'.

further more you must the individual computer's internal IP address (cannot be found from those whatsmyip websites)

im guessing you understand that it will all be done over ONE computer on your school network as that is where the ports will have been forwarded to.

looking at your post i made that assumption that you should understand what i just said, however if you are not sure, just ask and i can explain...

also, is demonic (you!) related or associated in any way to deviance???

Guest demonic

Thanks alot for the help 5614. I knew exactly what you are talking about and came to the same assumption; however, I would probobly consider my self a senior member. Just beacuse I know most of the administrator passwords and I work for the teacher of the class. The only thing is that this is a shared T3 connection with all of the schools in my county (which pretty much sums down the servers connection to a basic ISDN connection) and there are lots of servers to be routed to other schools. What I'm trying to ask is how I would access one of the main servers even if it does require a user name and password? And no I wasn't related or associated in any way to deviance.

Guest demonic

Even if I don't have the administrator password to that server, is it possible to load a keylogger to retrive these passwords... :D ?

keyloggers: can be installed on any computer so long as you can (a) instal any program on it (b) need to be at the actual computer.

however you need to hope the guy doesnt run anti-spyware programs, as they will catch it and remove it, also an advance user looking at his process list would probably see it, also you need to pay for one which is hidden, however i never managed to totaly hide it, but it was pretty good to fall the average user.

retrieving info from keyloggers: the one i used i need to be at the computer, however i believe there are some which email the data, however a random unexpected internet connection could be noticed, it also means you email address needs to be stored on that computer somewhere, making you traceable.

the way i access my router is by typing its IP address into IE (internet explorer) or FF (firefox) address bar (or other similar name). i dont really work with real school / office type servers, try typing in its IP (the internal one, try external as well, though doubt that external will work), there will probably be an option available for admins, a link or program of something which would be hard to get... alternatively there will be a master computer somewhere, which has access over the server (alternatively, admins on the network can turn any computer into a master computer when they log on), this will have server configuration programs.

i assumed you were a student, so i said about passwords sorry.

"The only thing is that this is a shared T3 connection with all of the schools in my county"

what country do you live in?

keyloggers and unauthorised access to computer is illegal and can result in jail and fines. you may not attempt this unless you government permit it (totaly impossible!) or you are on a home network and authorized to do it by owners, joint owners & users etc! (i read in the forum rules about this kinda message being needed in this kinda post!)

think that thats everything you asked, if not, always just re-ask and i'll answer!

You won't be able to access those servers remotely (probably). Most likely they're dedicated routers - either very expensive hardware based ones or a seperate computer - so that it can handle all the traffic effectively. You need to ring their IT people up and say "can you open a port for me?" and wait for the rather inevitable response ;)

i doubt it, even proper hardware servers can be operated by the school.... assuming that someone in the school knows how. my school has a sys admin etc who can do it, its possible that it was set-up by a company and no one in the school has the knowledge, however that is stupid for configuration and maintenance reasons.

so remote (outta school) access is unlikely, because thats like hacking, from the network most routers included dedicated routers and server can be accessed with the correct accounts and security authorisation, however not in all cases, maybe dave has had difference experiences and find that it tends to have a 'master computer' or a sole computer to control the server... it varies.

"their IT" is in my school referred to as the sys admin who works full time at the school, obviously it could be different for other businesses/school.

I don't think they'd give the passwords out for the router willingly. After all, they don't want people going around forwarding ports all over the place.

Having said all this, you're going to have to find out yourself. We just don't know the setup :)

agreed dave, i mentioned similar things in post #2 about access right... whilsts it is likely someone in the school will know the password, whether this guy personally can do it himself (with the admin guys help or not) i just dont know... also yes, system vary (also mentioned in post #2).