DC Railgun

Cillianonymous

Hello all, I had an idea a while back when reading some of tesla's papers on projecting DC current in a wireless fashion. Why not make a railess railgun in such a way?

Since this idea I've sent my vague thoughts to a number of professors and actual scientists, but none have contacted me back and it's getting frustrating.

The idea is simple. Instead of splicing AC, use wireless DC that is spliced and remove the rails entirely, thusly solving the problem of the rails degrading and resisting, plus maintenance. I wanna build such a device to launch satellites, but I understand there are other major limitations to over come. I'm certain they can be, if only because of hope, but ... alas, I lack the education to do the math on my own. I've always studied theory and concept, not math. Its a terrible shortcoming of mine I'm working to remedy.

If you'd like to know more about this concept I can show basic ideas on how this could work. I fear they aren't nearly complete enough, but I'll do what I can with what I have and keep learning till something comes up.

Thanks for your time ladies and gentlemen.

Wouldn't a railess railgun be just a gun?

A coilgun works in a similar fashion without the projectile touching the sides and I suppose you could look into mass drivers too.

From Wiki: "Mass drivers can be used to propel spacecraft in three different ways: A large, ground-based mass driver could be used to launch spacecraft away from Earth, the Moon, or another body" which sounds like it could fit your sattelite launching criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_driver

Edited by Leader Bee

• 2 weeks later...