Ammonia Silver Nitrate

Takiowns

I saw in the news that evacuation of a university building was done, but as I was reading the source, it says due to a chemical called "Ammonia Silver Nitrate." I remember this chemical not to be dangerous and wikipedia doesn't say anything about it. Any info?

My speculation is that someone added excess ammonia to silver nitrate.

This produces ammonium nitrate and a soluble silver hydroxide ammonium complex.

The problem is that the latter salt can decompose with age to form silver nitride.

This compound is so sensitive that crystals in solution can set off an explosion, and has

a history of causing injuries. The evacuation was likely just a precaution against a known

potential hazard that could have produced a large liability suit against the university if it

failed to act in a prudent manner and, in my opinion, it was not likely that a significant part

of the university would have been consumed in an explosion, just a financial disaster.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw in the news that evacuation of a university building was done, but as I was reading the source, it says due to a chemical called "Ammonia Silver Nitrate." I remember this chemical not to be dangerous and wikipedia doesn't say anything about it. Any info?

Ammonia silver nitrate is also called "ammoniacal silver nitrate."

For uses in pyrotechnics, it is a way to obtain silver fulminate..{ silver nitride actually }. [ it's not the best way to fulminate silver ]..> I will not give the formula due to the fact that unless one is highly experienced and has the proper setting, silver ntride is such a sensitive explosive. It is so sensitive it can detonate by pressure of its own weight. Also, it is a very fierce explosion! It is the explosion that is used to make "throw-em bang snaps" [ the amount in each bag snap is extremely tiny]

Basically the reagent contains silver nitrate, sodium hydroxide, and ammonium hydroxide..>[ a severe eye irritant]

The solution is then allowed to be left alone for a time to form the explosive. It is my guess that the house was evacuated because there was a large quantity of the reagent was left past its time of stability. [it is stable for only a few hours.] If there was a significant quantity of the reagent made and past the time of stability, I could only imagine the extent of the explosion!

Edited by First↔Cause ♀