nationalists

lemur

Nationalists have two primary goals: 1) policing of regional populations against 'foreigners.' 2) increasing the prosperity of the national economy for the benefit of citizens. Can these two goals ever be totally achieved in practice and, if not, will people ever stop using force to try?

Nationalists have two primary goals: 1) policing of regional populations against 'foreigners.' 2) increasing the prosperity of the national economy for the benefit of citizens. Can these two goals ever be totally achieved in practice and, if not, will people ever stop using force to try?

Can anything really be fully accomplished and can anything be done without some force? I could replace national with lawn or human, etc. and come up with a similar question.

Can anything really be fully accomplished and can anything be done without some force? I could replace national with lawn or human, etc. and come up with a similar question.

Maybe I should be more specific and note that nationalists always seem to have enemies. I.e. it never seems like everyone in the world is just content to be nationalistic and support other nationalists' efforts to police regions of 'foreigners' and structurally produce strong national economies. So the question is why nationalism never attempts to understand what other views might be possible instead of treating everyone who doesn't commit themselves to a nation and do everything possible to support it as a problem. Another way to put it is to ask how popular global freedom and migration would be if it weren't for all the nationalist force being applied to maintain strong solidarity and containment within national regions.

Edited by lemur

Another way to put it is to ask how popular global freedom and migration would be if it weren't for all the nationalist force being applied to maintain strong solidarity and containment within national regions.

Aren't "nations" just different groups of people, who share a common language and culture, and live in their own area of land. Just as different families live in their own houses.

As long as they're left to themselves, they're quite happy. I get on with my next-door neighbours. I suppose you do with yours.

But suppose you were told that a marvellous new policy was being introduced: "Domicile Freedom and Migration".

Under which, your neighbours could move into your spare bedroom, if they wanted to. And come in to use your bathroom and kitchen. Or start digging up your garden, if they felt you hadn't got the right flowers growing in it.

Would you approve the new policy? Or resist it strongly?