X and Y Intercepts Definition

Brainteaserfan

Is an intercept where the graph meets or crosses the axis? For example, in the function, f(x)=x^2(x-4), is the point (0,0) an x-intercept?

PS- I put this in this forum because I thought it fit best here. I already asked my teacher, but wanted another opinion, as I found conflicting info online. Thanks in advance!

Is an intercept where the graph meets or crosses the axis? For example, in the function, f(x)=x^2(x-4), is the point (0,0) an x-intercept?

PS- I put this in this forum because I thought it fit best here. I already asked my teacher, but wanted another opinion, as I found conflicting info online. Thanks in advance!

yes, and yes. anything that result the y = 0, like (5, 0) is x-intercept...

yes, and yes. anything that result the y = 0, like (5, 0) is x-intercept...

Thanks! That's what my teacher said. I just wanted another opinion! Here is one of the sources that made me wonder: http://cs.selu.edu/~rbyrd/math/intercept/. It states that an intercept is where a line crosses an axis, but then it goes on to say exactly what you said. Thanks again!

Brainteaserfan , I read the information at the link you provided and here I'll give a meaning for an intercept that as far as I know is totally correct .

The link you give has the intercept's as being the actual points where the lines cross the axes . I have always used the actual points where the lines cross axes to calculate the distance from these points to the origin ( 0 , 0 ) and these distances are called the ' intercepts ' .

If a line crosses the x axis at the point ( 8 , 0 ) then the intercept using the method of your link is the actual point ( 8 , 0 ) .

If a line crosses the x axis at the point ( 8 , 0 ) then the intercept using the method that I describe is a value of 8 .

Edited by Hal.

Brainteaserfan , I read the information at the link you provided and here I'll give a meaning for an intercept that as far as I know is totally correct .

The link you give has the intercept's as being the actual points where the lines cross the axes . I have always used the actual points where the lines cross axes to calculate the distance from these points to the origin ( 0 , 0 ) and these distances are called the ' intercepts ' .

If a line crosses the x axis at the point ( 8 , 0 ) then the intercept using the method of your link is the actual point ( 8 , 0 ) .

If a line crosses the x axis at the point ( 8 , 0 ) then the intercept using the method that I describe is a value of 8 .

Interesting. Could you give me a source?

These 2 links contain the first meaning where an intercept is taken to be the point where the axis is intersected .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_of_a_function

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-intercept

The following book gives the meaning of an intercept as being the distance to the point from the origin ( 0 , 0 ) .

Calculus 6th Edition , Howard Anton , 1999 , John Wiley and Sons , Appendix B , page A20 .

These 2 links contain the first meaning where an intercept is taken to be the point where the axis is intersected .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_of_a_function

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-intercept

The following book gives the meaning of an intercept as being the distance to the point from the origin ( 0 , 0 ) .

Calculus 6th Edition , Howard Anton , 1999 , John Wiley and Sons , Appendix B , page A20 .

Maybe you should post that source in the discussion section of Wikipedia.

Brainteaserfan , you post the source in the Wiki discussion section ! Post a link back here , if there is a link , where I can see what goes on in wiki discussions . Bare in mind , there may be a few more mathmatical interpretations of the word ' Intercept '.

Book Name : Calculus , A New Horizon , Sixth Edition

Author : Howard Anton ( Drexel University )

Year : 1999

Publisher : John Wiley & Sons , Inc.

ISBN : 0 - 471 - 15306 - 0

Section : Appendix B

Page : A 20

Brainteaserfan , you post the source in the Wiki discussion section ! Post a link back here , if there is a link , where I can see what goes on in wiki discussions . Bare in mind , there may be a few more mathmatical interpretations of the word ' Intercept '.

Book Name : Calculus , A New Horizon , Sixth Edition

Author : Howard Anton ( Drexel University )

Year : 1999

Publisher : John Wiley & Sons , Inc.

ISBN : 0 - 471 - 15306 - 0

Section : Appendix B

Page : A 20

I tried. Maybe something's wrong with my computer, but it didn't seem to work. That's why I asked you.

Brainteaserfan , I looked at the Wiki and I think a new article would have to be started to include the definition of ' Intercept ' which is in the book I quote from . There is a wizard at the Wiki which helps account holders to make articles but it requires a certain Wiki Etiquette for the formatting . An article can be sent to a human editor to be viewed and checked before it is published on it's own Wiki page . This is the only time I ever looked at writing Wiki articles , I think I would go through the learning curve for article writing for something a bit more important than an ' Intercept ' . But , it is very important at times , a contradiction appears !