Recommendation for a book about the history of Israel/Palestine?

John Salerno

Can anyone recommend a good book that details the founding of Israel and covers all of the major events that have happened since then that have formed the Israel/Palestine conflict? I'd love to learn more details of things like the country's founding, the borders and how/why they've changed over the century, the arguments on both sides for and against a Jewish state, etc.

Thanks!

John S; There are literally thousands of books related to both the Religion and the plight of those in the religion to form a Jewish State, known as Zionism. I am neither Jewish or in fact religious, but have read some, as you seem to be, interested in the subject from both a historical and political perspective. The link offered, is free and gives references to other books. Good Luck....

The book's underlying theme is the need to study Israeli history within multiple and overlapping comparative frameworks. The benefit of comparison is not limited to a richer understanding of the circumstances under which Israel was born and has developed. Rather, an open-ended, comparative approach offers a useful means of correcting the biases found in so much scholarship on Israel, be it sympathetic or hostile. Israel in History: The Jewish State in Comparative Perspective will appeal to scholars and students with research interests in many fields, including Israeli Studies, Middle East Studies, and Jewish Studies.[/Quote]

http://ebookee.org/Israel-in-History-The-Jewish-State-in-Comparative-Perspective_197097.html

John S; There are literally thousands of books related to both the Religion and the plight of those in the religion to form a Jewish State, known as Zionism. I am neither Jewish or in fact religious, but have read some, as you seem to be, interested in the subject from both a historical and political perspective. The link offered, is free and gives references to other books. Good Luck....

http://ebookee.org/I...ive_197097.html

Ooh thanks, that book sounds like a great start!

Can anyone recommend a good book that details the founding of Israel and covers all of the major events that have happened since then that have formed the Israel/Palestine conflict? I'd love to learn more details of things like the country's founding, the borders and how/why they've changed over the century, the arguments on both sides for and against a Jewish state, etc.

Thanks!

Six Days of War (June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middles East) Michael B. Oren, ISBN 0-345-46192-4