Sleep deprivation lab

videoman1994

Hello science community. I recently have decided that I wish to conduct a lab on what happens when you are deprived of sleep. The reason I decided to do this is because on my ACT package(I got a 22, my reading was a 19, science 23, math 25, english 22) it said that I should consider doing an experiment to give me a better understanding? So I naturally thought of sleep, because many things like insomnia and the such are present in the world.

How I will do it:

I will most likely only do this once, but I may try to do it 3 times over the summer as according to the scientific method the more times you repeat it, the more accurate your data.

Also this will be done with my cousin, as I have read some pieces of how people tend to lose their mind while deprived of sleep(much like when someone is high, for a more literal meaning)

1.) I will record in a composition notebook every 2-3hours of all my observations. I will also be blogging and vlogging during some of it.

2.) I will attempt to stay awake as long as I possibly can, using various guides to help me along the way.

Goals/Data Management:

I am looking to do a week straight, 7 days(24 hours) in total: 168 hours. When I have finished my experiment I will first off go to sleep, then I will go on to make a final report on the results, create data for what happened during the 7 days, give links to all my blogs and vlogs(if I don't link it before hand), and give a conclusion of what happened, contrary to what I think will happen.

Definitions:

"Sleep is a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or absent consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles.[1] It is distinguished from quiet wakefulness by a decreased ability to react to stimuli, but it is more easily reversible than hibernation or coma." -Wikipedia.com

Other:

Now this may all sound dandy to me, it may not sound like it to you, if you could give me any suggestions as to go through with it, or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism I would very much appreciate it. Or if you think I should make a different approach to this. Or even tips to staying up, or things I could do! Or if you want to give me things I could read up on, on sleep, I would appreciate it once again.

I can't see you making it a week without some form of stimulant and even then your going to be subject to micro sleeps, This I believe is what induces a psychotic state because you cannot differentiate between wakefulness and sleep. I've done this first hand with enormous amounts of coffee and nicotine so be careful I have a recurring psychotic illness now which I never had before this experience, however my sleep deprivation lasted longer than a week and coincided with starvation, Isolation and of course mental and physical stress. First sign of trouble and I suggest you get out.

I think you should apply to some kind of nightshift job to see how you function while sleep-deprived. Also, I think the requirements of your job will provide a natural stimulant to stay awake. Many fast food restaurants seem to be open 24/7 as well as Walmart, I think.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

There are many things in our daily complicated routines , which fall into place naturally , like when almost without thinking we awake , wash , dress , eat breakfast and go on our way to do our daily activities . When long periods of time are spent awake , there is no waking up another time for washing , dressing and eating breakfast to fall into place as the natural next activities to be done . Don't be tempted to wear the same clothes for 3 days and to wash once in total before you fall asleep exhausted , dirty and smelly . The world is a weird place when a person stays awake .

• 2 months later...