iodine

skwiff

is there a way to make iodine with out using acids and peroxides?

I was thinking mixing solutions of KCl/NaCl and KI/NaI would this work? not sure on the ratios but in theory should work... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i can not obtain the acids or peroxides easily :(

Sure ya can! Hydrochloric acid can be obtained at hardware stores like McLendon's for about $3-4, and hydrogen peroxide can be found at every pharmacy for half that.

It really depends on what age you are, though. People will question you if you're young and buying this stuff.

But if you are young, and really interested in making iodine, get your parents to buy this stuff for you.

Edited by elementcollector1

Sure ya can! Hydrochloric acid can be obtained at hardware stores like McLendon's for about $3-4, and hydrogen peroxide can be found at every pharmacy for half that.

It really depends on what age you are, though. People will question you if you're young and buying this stuff.

But if you are young, and really interested in making iodine, get your parents to buy this stuff for you.

this is an old post ^^ i brought some from Ebay since and it is good quality :D i keep it in my fridge to make it last longer!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends,

Carboxylic acids can be straightaway reduced to alkanes using hydrogen iodide in conjunction with red phosphorus. It is a mighty strong reducing agent. So to reduce benzoic acid to toluene, use HI/Red P.

Another method, although not so much well known, is to use the Arndt Eistert synthesis to increase the carbon chain of benzoic acid by a -CH2 group. This would make it benzyl carboxylic acid, Ph-CH2-COOH. Now you can perform a decarboxylation using NaOH/CaO to get toluene.

If you want to find the suppliers of iodine plz click the link below

http://www.chemicalregister.com/find/Find.asp?SearchTy=PName&SearchSu=iodine&SearchKe=AllKey&SearchLo=ALL&x=0&y=0