Indian population increased by 181 million in the last 10 years

CaptainPanic

India's population is now pegged at 1.21 billion, an increase of more than 181 million in the last 10 years, according to the provisional 2011 Census report released on Thursday. (source)

That is really a lot of new people. A lot of extra mouths to feed. A lot of extra educations to take care of. A lot of towns and cities to build. A lot of everything must be built! 181 million people... hard to imagine.

According to wikipedia, India has an annual growth rate of 1.38%. Doesn't sound like much, but it means they will hit the 2 billion people in only 37 years!

I wonder if the Indians themselves have any idea where they are going with their country. Is there a limit to growth?

Although I have a lot more questions, I think I'll ask only that. In the specific case of India, is there any limit to their growth?

For the world as a whole, the number of children born per woman decreased from 5.02 to 2.65 between 1950 and 2005. A breakdown by continent is as follows:

Europe 2.66 to 1.41

North America. 3.47 to 1.99

Oceania 3.87 to 2.30

Central America. 6.38 to 2.66

South America. 5.75 to 2.49

Asia (excluding Middle East) 5.85 to 2.43

Middle East & North Africa. 6.99 to 3.37

Sub-Saharan Africa. 6.7 to 5.53[/Quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation

CP, Interesting; For several business reasons I've studied the Indian culture over the past decade and they have come a long way, both economically and culturally. They only won their Independence in 1946 and are one Country that embraced Capitalism.

Your one question; That's very hard to determine but there must be a limit, while your link indicates 2B by 2050 or so the link above indicates 1.66B by then. Talk about "what ifs", but can you imagine their population if, as Africa has, maintained nearly 6 births per woman. Also, their current estimated life expectancy is about 73-74, which helped create the increased population...I don't know how, with a large Muslim Population, but their staggering increase in population, consumption rate needs to slow down. In the past 5 years alone inflation rate (120%- 19/1US$ to 45/1US$) has driven down the rupee purchasing power by half and wages have gone no where...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.