Research help

mikiwameru

We're doing a new thesis because our proposed research was, I would not say rejected, but my professor asked us "Are you sure you want to do this research?" Our topic was identification of microorganisms in the handrails of public utility vehicles and he said that the only thing we can achieve after conducting the study will be promotion of hand sanitizer. What topics would you like to suggest? My classmates had their study about the effectiveness of the antibacterial component of fabric softeners approved. Others will do a survey type of research about compliance to the rabies vaccine program in urban and rural areas. Please recommend topics for our group. We are thinking of studying about the potential occurrence of orthostatic proteinuria in salesladies who are not allowed to sit for the whole day, but it would be the store owners we are up against. I am an incoming fourth year medical technology student. Ideas will be much appreciated.

You could study the resistance against hand sanitizers of those microorganisms in the handrails of public utility vehicles?

Because although your professor might think they work, that might not be the case?

There are several hand sanitizers: soap, cream, lotion

And some of these only claim to desinfect when you apply it... but some claim that they have an effectiveness some time after you apply it.

Obviously, you would need to know which microorganisms live on those handrails.

Seems interesting to me.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edited by CaptainPanic

• 3 weeks later...

You could study the resistance against hand sanitizers of those microorganisms in the handrails of public utility vehicles?

Because although your professor might think they work, that might not be the case?

There are several hand sanitizers: soap, cream, lotion

And some of these only claim to desinfect when you apply it... but some claim that they have an effectiveness some time after you apply it.

Obviously, you would need to know which microorganisms live on those handrails.

Seems interesting to me.

Just my 2 cents :)

agree totally with that. its something new. everyone's talking about how many the microorganisms are, but not talking about their resistance to sanitizers

Hmmm, on what level are we talking here? University/College or High School?

Hand rails in general won't have all too many bacteria on them, since they are mainly metal and most bacteria won't survive on a metal substrate (especially in an aerobic environment). You could try to identify which viruses are present on the hand-rails and how to defend against those? Or maybe something about the communicability of diseases in high-density urban areas?

The resistance thing is a good start, but I don't know how successful you'll be as most soaps use a detergent, which already destroys cell membranes and as far as I know there isn't any resistance to that. OH! Maybe you could perform a series of directed evolution experiments to determine IF resistance to detergents would be possible? Or how to incorporate the mechanism of action of detergents into substances that are safe for human consumption?

What about a study of the poisoning effects of household cleaning chemicals , on children , who think that ' Lemon ' and ' Coconut ' , for example , might just taste delicious and they can't tell the difference . You'd be taking on the chemical giants , the CORPORATIONS !