Creating a Link

KagakuOtaku

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, if it's even the right website. Anyways, please answer if you can.

You see, I created an HTML web page with Microsoft Notepad. I'm really proud of it, and I want to share it with the world. The only problem is, I tried finding a free domain hoster, but nothing worked for me. I'm not familiar with the computer language. I didn't understand, really, anything on Atspace.

So, now my question: Is it possible to create a link (like "www.scienceforums.net") to my file? If so, how? If I wanted to post my web page on the Internet, would I have to pay up?

If it helps any, the file is located in C:\Program Files\Internet\www\Chat Groups.htm.

Even if you can't answer this, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, if it's even the right website. Anyways, please answer if you can.

You see, I created an HTML web page with Microsoft Notepad. I'm really proud of it, and I want to share it with the world. The only problem is, I tried finding a free domain hoster, but nothing worked for me. I'm not familiar with the computer language. I didn't understand, really, anything on Atspace.

So, now my question: Is it possible to create a link (like "www.scienceforums.net") to my file? If so, how? If I wanted to post my web page on the Internet, would I have to pay up?

If it helps any, the file is located in C:\Program Files\Internet\www\Chat Groups.htm.

Even if you can't answer this, thanks.

your a bit skrewed without some computer knowledge, heres what you do if you dont want to pay for domain hosting...download ubuntu, install apache, open port 80 then you are essentially running your own server, download notepad++ its a half decent IDE for websites.

also its <a href = "www.scienceforums.net" > most loved </a> ..... not sure if your asking how to link to a site tho? this isnt web hosting

What you need to do to share that file with the world, is uploading it to a host. There are several free web hosts out there, and a simple Google search should yield more than a few.

When you upload it to their servers, you usually get an adress like "www.freehost.com/yourUserName" (that link won't work though). That means that your file would be at "www.freehost.com/yourUserName/file.html". Having the file on your computer isn't enough, because your computer is pretty much closed off to the outside world.

No offense, but it does sound like you could use some more reading up on how this works in general. Have a look here to get you started.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4599939_web-hosting-work.html

http://www.w3schools.com/hosting/host_intro.asp