Two questions deceptively simple

Baby Astronaut

FAT is a featureless file system and NTFS is Windows feature rich file system, NTFS has a journalling system and alternate data streams. I would ask this question on Stack Overflow if you really want to get a bad ass answer.

Computer Engineer is a term that I had never heard before. I had always used the term Electronics Engineer but it seems that the two have independent identities; oddly enough it is on my High School transcript as Computer Systems Engineering, I must have been dozing. Computer Engineers deal more in the hardware aspects like controllers and ports and Computer Scientists deal more in software and algorithms. I could see a place where the two might meet and that would be in the design of a processor.

Maybe, is ok for you? The deceptive simplicity of the question leaves me uneasy! :P

See, the difference between FAT and NTFS file systems are that FAT file systems use an old standard where to store a single file, it has

to be a single continues block in the memory (12\16\32) and have a limit on the file size, thats why in the old Windows systems,

it was important to do Disk Defragmentation ...

NTFS on the other hand, has introduced the idea of streams, meaning you don't have to store the file as a single continues block, and there

is no limit on the file size ...

The difference in file nodes can be noticed in this figure:

file-system.png

Computer Engineering is more related to the Hardware, Computer Science is more related to Software ...