Living things

Primarygun

How do scientists classify the structures of a cell into living and non-living?

Cell wall is non-living' date=' while chloroplast is living.

Does the word "living" implies "life" or carbon structure? :confused:[/quote']

It might have something to do with the fact that chloroplast ( and mitochondria) have their own separate DNA.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/E/Endosymbiosis.html

Not sure though...

I believe that a cell is the smallest single unit of life. I don't think they break it down any further. I don't think that a chloroplast or a mitochondria are considered to be alive. They are organelles that use to be single celled organisms themselves before they were incorporated into the eukaryotic cell. Now that they are part of the Eukaryotic cell they are not considered to be alive themselves. Its the whole cell that is considered living. At least that's how I learned it.

I believe that a cell is the smallest single unit of life. I don't think they break it down any further. I don't think that a chloroplast or a mitochondria are considered to be alive. They are organelles that use to be single celled organisms themselves before they were incorporated into the eukaryotic cell. Now that they are part of the Eukaryotic cell they are not considered to be alive themselves. Its the whole cell that is considered living. At least that's how I learned it.

You forget viruses... a hell of a lot smaller than cells.