mass ?

I was wondering how you get the following: 2.00g H + 2.00g O2 = 1.75g H + 2.25g H2O...

and is it the case in ionic reactions, that the closest matching ions within the formula of the reaction will come together, so therefore in a reaction the various ions won't just randomly react with whatever other ion..

I was wondering how you get the following: 2.00g H + 2.00g O2 = 1.75g H + 2.25g H2O...

and is it the case in ionic reactions, that the closest matching ions within the formula of the reaction will come together, so therefore in a reaction the various ions won't just randomly react with whatever other ion..

You need to look at it terms of moles.

Calculate the number of moles of Hydrogen, and the number of moles of oxygen (in 2g each).

You can then use the balanced equation to calculate how many moles of water could be formed.

Convert the number of moles back into mass, and you'll find your figures are true. 2.25g of water formed, and 1.75g of hydrogen left unreacted.

And is it the case in ionic reactions, that the closest matching ions within the formula of the reaction will come together, so therefore in a reaction the various ions won't just randomly react with whatever other ion..

I don't quite understand what you're asking here.

There is an electrostatic force attracting the positive ions to the negative ions. This force is similar to gravity in that the further away the ions are from each other, the smaller the attraction will become. The ions will attract those closest to each other.

Ok, yep I'm pretty sure I understand that now. Cheers

And so do u balance an ionic equation which contains unequal charges among the reactants and products, just like a normal (molecular) equation?

Are you talking about an ionic half equation? If so the easiest way to do it would be to balance the electrons.

If this is a simple yes or no question, the answer is most definitely yes. All 'Reaction Orders' are determined by the 'Mechanisms' which guide them. Reaction rates can be modeled under a set of formulas that are established in the field of Kinetics( disambiguation: Chemical Kinetics.) These formulas are developed over several chapters and can be found at several levels in various texts. Off the top of my head there is no one precise equation that can be given here to answer your question.

Texts that may cover such information include texts on Chemical Kinetics, Physical Chemistry, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry. The mathematics involved in 'Rate Laws', from what I have studied, tends to be non-complex in form, and yet, the complexity of the information being handled can be overwhelming.

A more precise and transparent scenario would allow for a more precise answer and certain individuals may more readily aid you. The best I can do is assemble a response from reference material based on given situations.

I'm not sure I really understand the original question. The reaction of [ce]H_{2}[/ce] with [ce]O_{2}[/ce] in the gas phase is not an ionic reaction. It proceeds by a radical mechanism, that actually has very complex, and not too well understood kinetics.

The equation you have pictured doesn't make sense, by "[ce]H[/ce]" do you mean [ce]H_{2}[/ce]?

As for the second part, which ions react is all governed by an equilibrium. Mix two water soluble ionic compounds together in water and you get no reaction if none of the possible combinations of ions are insoluble. Those percipitations are an equilibrium processes and can be predicted with an equilibrium expression.

Maybe try to reword the question.