Head Mounted Display

Xittenn

I need something that will give me the ability to read and run track at the same time. I really thought that this being 2011 google would pull something up that would, even in the worst case, just suck. I can't find anything??? Did I miss something?? It really sucks running on a tread mill at the gym and sweating on the text book. Having to find the optimal seating arrangement so that the page is legible and not at an angle to my vision is usually not possible and I'm left holding down the page. I need to do more exercising but I can't give up study time, I have very little time for either.

I have searched out other options in the past including text to speech. Text to speech didn't go over too well, the voicing was pretty monotone and I quickly lost the meaning of anything being described. It also doesn't help that I usually have to scan over parts five or six times before I get it and then end up rereading entire chapters to put the segment into perspective; this isn't so easy using text to speech applications.

I don't know just thought I would put it out there .....

I usually just put podcasts or audiobooks on an Ipod or Mp3 player and listen to them while I run. So long as you're on a treadmill you could probably use a kindle or Ipad to read if you really don't want to listen to audiobooks.

I'd kind of like to get off of the treadmill. I've never really taken online material seriously although I am aware of the oncoming growth of this media. I figured I would just scan texts I buy into temporary PDFs for reading or whatnot; this is probably a legal issue I'm sure! If I do end up staying on the treadmill I will probably get a tablet PC of some sort. It would still be nice to get a cool set of shades that let me read with the world in my background.

I had thought to maybe devise a mechanical page turning device and set a high resolution web cam to view the text in question thereby bypassing the part where I create a copy.

I don't think brains are capable of doing these two tasks at the same time (checking where you're running and reading/studying).

If you're off the treadmill and outside, then I recommend that you keep your eyes on the traffic and other people around you. If you're in a place without other people (like a forest) then you most likely need to keep your eyes on the ground to avoid twisting your ankle. Perhaps on a dedicated running track without any other people would you be able to do this...

In short, I don't see many opportunities to really read anything while running outside. I don't believe it's possible, because if your complete attention is on the book, you'd essentially be running blind, and if it's not completely on the book, then you are not very efficient at studying.

If you're on a treadmill, you can just place an ordinary computer screen in front of it, or a tablet as you suggested yourself. It's fully adjustable: you can change the position, and you can change the fontsize and resolution. It might not be an efficient way of studying, but (1) it's technically feasible and (2) you're certain that the road ahead is free of obstables, you might touch a handhold or something to relieve your eyes of the task of determining your location so that you can fully focus on the text.

I do a fair amount of academic reading on an exercise bike - either real book or kindle. When you get in the zone it is great; time flies, the exercise part loses any grim boringness, and the reading sinks in. But, when you cannot get into the correct frame of mind it becomes a form of torture; perceived passage of time slows to a crawl, nothing makes any sense, and thus it is tedious and unfulfilling. I now find that, if after 5 mins, it really isn't working I just switch on some tunes or play computer games; ie I give up! I can force myself to exercise and I can force myself to study, but I cannot force myself to do both at same time

@Panic: I understand where it is you are coming from in saying this. The idea would be to run on an actual track thereby eliminating much of this. I actually do not drive for this very reason. I spend much of my time reflecting on my studies and I am often mentally projecting images that coincide with my thoughts. I would most certainly cause harm to the general public and taking transit allows me to read while in commute.

@imatfaal: Yeah I get like that, combined activity or no :)