Math Proof help

coldize

Hey I'm trying to prove a biconditional statement: Let a be an integer. a is congruent to 2 modulo 5 if and only if a squared is congruent to 4 modulo 5.

I proved it to the right and and I'm working on proving it to the left. I thought a proof by contradiction would be best but what I run into is the equation 5(b/a+2) = a-2 for some integer b. Now, if I could somehow prove that (b/a+2) is an integer, I would be set because that would contradict our assumption that 5 does not divide a-2 (because we're doing a proof by contradiction).

So if anyone could help or point me in the right direction, that would be wonderful. I was hoping these forums would have LaTeX embedding capabilities but it appears that isn't possible so I've just attached the LaTeX code I do have as a code snippet.

Thanks again!

\begin{proof}[Part 2] 
We will prove that if $a^2 \equiv 4$ (mod 5), then $a \equiv 2$ (mod 5) by using a proof by contradiction. That is, we will prove that  if $a^2 \equiv 4$ (mod 5)and $a \not \equiv 2$ (mod 5), 
then there will exist a logical fallacy.\\ \\Assume that $a^2 \equiv 4$ (mod 5) and $a \not \equiv 2$ (mod 5). By the definition of congruency, we know that $5|a^2-4$ and $5 \nmid a-2$.
By the definition of divides, we know that  $\exists b \in \mathbb{Z}$ such that $5b=a^2-4$. Observe that $a^2-4 = (a+2)(a-2)$. By dividing both sides of the equation $5b=(a+2)(a-2)$ by $(a+2)$, 
we obtain the equation $5(b/a+2)=(a-2)$. Since $b/a+2$ can be rewritten ..... ? 
\end{proof}

Edited by coldize

Poor coldize, noone wants to answer you because it's ages since we've done any discrete and remembering how to do it takes effort.

Perhaps you can appease our laziness a bit and use the left square bracket math right square bracket tag to rewrite your working with the forum's LaTeX embedding (there's a tutorial around somewhere too, use the search function)?

On that note, sleepy time. May be able to summon the effort when I get up.

(Alright, I gave in and played with it for a tiny while) Simplest (not shortest) way I can think of it is to just show directly that if a is not congruent to 2 mod 5 then a^2 is not congruent to 4 mod 5

There are only four cases to go through and you're done. (either that or you've disproven it)

too brain-fried to go for anything shorter atm

Edit: There's a trivial counter-example. try some single digit integers.

Edited by Schrödinger's hat