Vitamin A-post translational modification

scilearner

The question is give an example of post translational modifcation of a protei brought about my vitamin A. Now I checked my book which says vitamin A plays a role in vision, reproduction, growth, maintenance of epithelial cells. I checked the net as well couldn't find the answer . Can anyone tell me the name, so I can search info about it, some info would also be good if possible. Thanks :)

Ive just done a quick literature search and can;t find much about it either...are you sure its Vitamin A?

Thanks for trying to help :) I found the answer. It is retinal combining with glycine of opsin in the visual cycle. You don't expect that to be a post translational modification, but it seems that any any chemical modification to a protein after it has been synthesized by the ribosome as a post-translational modification.

Arr ok I was looking for something that modified it will it had literally just been transcribed.

I guess though, if you think about it, any further chemical change would be post-translationl seeing as it has occured after the protein was made...even if that modification occurs hours/days/weeks latter in another part of the body.