Why are police officers and firefighters considered heroes?

A Tripolation

It seems that everyone defaults them to the status of a "hero". Why? I googled "the most dangerous jobs in America", and those two occupations rarely cracked the top 10 on any site I visited.

I'm not saying that having a job with a high mortality rate makes you a hero. I'm saying this to counter the inevitable argument of, "They put their lives on the line everyday!".

To me, a hero is someone who jumps on a grenade to save their squad, or runs into the open to call in air support, even if it means getting shot repeatedly. Someone who pulls another person out of the way of a speeding vehicle or subway train. Anyone who risks their life to save others. I do not understand why police officers and firefighters are automatically conferred that status. It just seems to me like that's the politically correct thing to do nowadays.

What do you all think?

Edited by A Tripolation

I would say they are classed as heros because, while thre job might not be the most dangerous around, they are more relevant to everyone.

Probaly one of the most dangerous jobs around is being a lumberjack. However, not everyone would have a service of a lumberjack (and even if they did, they might not know they have used one). While, all the time, you hear reports about fireofficer being killed while trying to save a building or a policeofficer shot for doing their job. SO it might be a media thing, but more importantly I think its because everyone sees them around and are relevant to far more people.

And firemen regulally risk their lives to save others...whether it entering a burning builidng to drag someone out or cutting someone out of a car that has crashed with petrol is leaking around. Not to mention, that driving at relatively high speeds to get to the scene fast is also putting themselves at risk to try and save someone who quiet probably was doing something stupid.

I mostly agree with you... a "hero" is a personal trait. You cannot realy be a hero by profession.

However, we pay them to be heros - to risk ther lives in order to save our lives or goods. So, we like to think about them as heros - we feel safer and money we spend seems justified.

There is also a less romantic view - by calling them heros we can also pay them somewhat less. They will do their job for pride (and will be more efficient when duty calls by not having second thoughts - people tend to play their roles).

Still, there are real heroes among them.

(EDIT:obviously, I would consider myself a hero after I learn my English. Sorry.)

Edited by Danijel Gorupec

I think anyone is a hero who gives their life, which can include choosing a low-paid career and not necessarily dying, to do something which is genuinely in the service of others. Some scientists are heroes. Plenty of doctors are. I certainly agree that most policemen are not heroic, but it's far more likely that firefighters chose their job because they wanted to save lives. And they do, every day.

I don't know why two of your examples are army related, I wouldn't class anyone in the modern western military as a hero. Soldiers who gave their lives in world war II, where people were genuinely fighting to save their fellow countrymen as opposed to securing foreign assets, they were heroes.

There's a certain thrill and satisfaction which comes with a job where you risk your life. But being conscripted and then giving your life, that takes real courage.

Most real heroes are the ones you never think about. People who are full time carers, or people who gave their lives, reputations or future happiness to prevent some catastrophe which never happened so we don't know they did it.

Edited by Blahah

I think anyone who is willing, when necessary, to put their life on the line in an attempt to save the life of others can be classed as a hero. There may be quite a list of occupations that carry this level of commitment. However long or short the list I think for most people it would include police officers and firemen/women.

Some medical doctors save lives all the time, yet are not considered heroes. I have seen reports about children being termed 'heroes' because they saved the life of their parent by calling the emergency services. And similar reports about dogs. I find this amusing. I grew up with mythological stories about 'true' heroes like Hercules, Titan etc. or stories about rare individuals who fought for liberty for their country. But dogs, children, professionals who are paid to do the job? It could be a basic psychological need for society to have heroes around to look up to, so when really (truly) deserving individuals are missing, anyone will do.

It seems that everyone defaults them to the status of a "hero". Why? I googled "the most dangerous jobs in America", and those two occupations rarely cracked the top 10 on any site I visited.

I think it is because of bravery that they are called heroes. Police are brave enough to confront bullies that other people avoid conflict with. Firefighters must be brave to come into contact with dangerous fires. There are many other forms of bravery that could be considered "heroic." Personally, I don't like the idea of calling people heroic because it transforms a practical issue into one of personal status/ego aesthetics. If it is good to be brave, then why should people need an ego reward? Their bravery should just make them feel good and they should be happy to have helped others or prevented something from being destroyed, etc.

I certainly agree that most policemen are not heroic, but it's far more likely that firefighters chose their job because they wanted to save lives. And they do, every day.

I agree with this as well. Most firefighters aren't in it for anything but to help people. As opposed to police officers. I might reconsider my stance on that one.

I don't know why two of your examples are army related, I wouldn't class anyone in the modern western military as a hero. Soldiers who gave their lives in world war II, where people were genuinely fighting to save their fellow countrymen as opposed to securing foreign assets, they were heroes.

I just see soldiers as having more heroism than most other people. Being a soldier doesn't make you a hero. But saving others does. And I wasn't speaking of the modern western military. I'm sure that there have been insurgents in Afghanistan who acted quite heroically against US military superiority. There were many heroic Russians during World War II. Our military was actually the furthest from my mind when I wrote that.

To me, a hero is someone who jumps on a grenade to save their squad, or runs into the open to call in air support, even if it means getting shot repeatedly. Someone who pulls another person out of the way of a speeding vehicle or subway train. Anyone who risks their life to save others. I do not understand why police officers and firefighters are automatically conferred that status.

Being a hero (by your definition) is pretty much the job description of firemen, with the restriction that fire is involved. Even though you can do a fireman's job while being a coward, at least until some dangerous situation where someone's life is on the line, the job description is putting your life at risk on behalf of (specific) other people in a (specific) dangerous situation. As Horza2002 said, another job like lumberjack might be more dangerous... but there the danger is for monetary reasons, to get lumber for the market. While it is true that we benefit from their job, it is also not like our lives were at risk, nor can we even match a given person's benefit to a given lumberjack. I think this impersonal aspect really takes away from the heroism, as of course does the money.

And if nothing else, the job of cops and firemen frequently put them in a situation where they could perform an act of heroism. Thus, heroes in those professions will likely be noticed whereas they might not ever have a chance to perform a heroic act in a different profession.

While, all the time, you hear reports about fireofficer being killed while trying to save a building or a policeofficer shot for doing their job.

I would argue this isn't true. It's just due to the overwhelming media coverage given when that rare instance of a police officer being shot actually happens. It's not a weekly, or even monthly, occurrence.

I agree with this as well. Most firefighters aren't in it for anything but to help people. As opposed to police officers. I might reconsider my stance on that one.

I just see soldiers as having more heroism than most other people. Being a soldier doesn't make you a hero. But saving others does. And I wasn't speaking of the modern western military. I'm sure that there have been insurgents in Afghanistan who acted quite heroically against US military superiority. There were many heroic Russians during World War II. Our military was actually the furthest from my mind when I wrote that.

Yes, sorry I shouldn't have assumed you were thinking of modern western military.

And if nothing else, the job of cops and firemen frequently put them in a situation where they could perform an act of heroism. Thus, heroes in those professions will likely be noticed whereas they might not ever have a chance to perform a heroic act in a different profession.

I understand that. But why do [generalization] we as a society act like every single cop or firefighter is a hero? [/generalization]

I would argue this isn't true. It's just due to the overwhelming media coverage given when that rare instance of a police officer being shot actually happens. It's not a weekly, or even monthly, occurrence.

Thinking about it, I agree with the police officer being shot stance is a little extreme case. But with the fire fighters, I here a lot about people either dieing or being seriously injured while on call fighting fires. Although my opinion is definately biased as I know people who are fire fighters and a friend died from injuries he sustained getting a lady out of a burning building. I personally consider him a hero..