Egg launcher

Cookie1234

I just wanna know how you get the raw egg in the 2 liter water bottle.

edit: Oh, and what do you mean by "water powered"? The last time I checked, water is not a viable power source (although it can function as a power transmission medium).

Edited by InigoMontoya

One cheap way of doing it is just using packing foam pieces and tape. You could experiment at home with a pack of eggs, try different quantities of foam packed around the egg and then throw it into the air (outside) and see if it breaks.

I expect someone with some engineering skills could come up with a much better solution.

I've built both a water rocket and an air gun using a 2 liter bottle and a valve from the inner tube of a bicycle. The rocket was easy -- just drill a hole through the cap and push through the valve, then fill with water and pump up. Then any bottle of any size can be used. However, for the gun we had to use the mouth of the bottle for a pipe, so the valve had to go elsewhere -- which will be much more of a pain to insert the valve, since you probably want to insert the valve from the inside so that the pressure holds the rubber onto the plastic. We used a non-disposable plastic 2 liter bottle (it had much thicker plastic so felt much safer) -- however, I don't think you'll find one of those anymore.

Then we glued a pipe to the mouth of the bottle. If you are going to use water, you'll need your pipe to be underwater, which you can do either by having the bottle upright and curving the pipe after it leaves the bottle or by inserting the pipe deep into the bottle and then filling the bottle with water deeper than that. Either of these will restrict your angle of fire to those in which water will enter your pipe.

For the trigger, we used one of the faucets that looks like a lever and goes from completely open to completely closed in 90 degrees.

A word of warning: plastic bottles can explode, and are deafeningly loud (louder than any firecracker's I've ever heard and even than ones that can blow up metal pipes). I'm sure it could also hurt you if you were close to it. I suggest you find a safe pressure, from a distance, and never inflate it past a pressure you know is safe when you are near it.

A word of warning: plastic bottles can explode, and are deafeningly loud (louder than any firecracker's I've ever heard and even than ones that can blow up metal pipes). I'm sure it could also hurt you if you were close to it. I suggest you find a safe pressure, from a distance, and never inflate it past a pressure you know is safe when you are near it.

While there's always the possibility of serious injuries when you start playing with compressed gases, I've known several idiotic people who've managed to have 2 liter soda bottles explode in their hands. Bruising and very minor cuts are the only injuries I've heard reported.