Reading Slides

micro101

That's so sad to hear that it took such long time for diagnosis for your mom. I have seen over 15 doctors from dermatologists to obgyn etc etc. These experience has left me drained and fustrated with docs. I went ahead and took a microbiology class and learned how to make the slides. I even purchased microscope.

Anyways the other thread I posted someone says it looks like a worm just from looking at that one slide. They asked for more info and better slides so I posted more slides on there.

If there is a lab out there that can help me by looking at the actual slide I made with clear tape. That would be awesome.

I am not giving up just yet!

THANKS FOR SHARING!

my mom had lyme's for so long, bells palsy, the whole thing... she had to send her blood to a lab in california (across the country) and then she finally tested positive...

she struggled with a ton of health problems, and some doctors just thought she was crazy. only now do I know the extent of how sick she was.

so don't give up. it could be something harder to identify.

maybe there's a lab that will send you some kind of kit to do a scraping, and then they will look at it...

remember that whatever's causing this might not show up on the tape.

• 2 weeks later...

A biopsy is in order, that can't be done via the the best medical forums on the net...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/skin-biopsy/MY00169

Appolinaria,

Thanks for support. Your encouraging words made me feel better. Two people responded to my other thread about the slide I posted. So looks like I may have to post some more slides with better magnification and more info.

NO, you need an MD, seriously.

Matty,

Thanks for writing. I have had a biopsy done by Mayo Clinic. I was treated for Candida Glabrata, but the itching/crawly feeling never went away. They did not find Candida they said it was "suggestive of Candid Glabrata" and I was treated for it a couple of months with fungal meds. The Dermatologist said I shd follow up with OBGYN because she said if the meds did not work for that diagnosis then she does NOT think that it is Candida Glabrata. Before going to Mayo I had a OBGYN take a look at the same area (groin) she said that "whatever" I had was all over the area (she did a coloposcopy), she also biopsied groin (outside area) and sent to lab for fungal culture. It came back negative. I was treated with many different fungal meds even though results were negative and still the same itchy/crawly feeling.

If I had a boil (small) in the area, I had the doc lanced/swab and sent to lab for bacterial culture-- that too was negative (MRSA did not show). Note: The itching is NOT on my ENTIRE body. Only certain areas. It started in groin, then noticed my legs and feet used to itch after I shower, then sometimes face, scalp, back would itch. I DON"T use hot water to shower only lukewarm water, but whatever it is, it does not like warm OR hot water (becasue my skin would feel as though something is moving around when warm water contacts with my skin). If I sweat while exercising the itching increases (and this cd be because my temperature had increased and salts from sweat from exercise)

I like to say this itching began after sex with my BF first time. After 40 mins I felt as though something had moved in the groin area even though I had showered after sex. After that the symtoms I explained then eventually moved to different parts of my body over time. Prior to being with this person I NEVERr had itching, boils or any complaints. I thought for sure this came from him (NO DOUBT IN MY MIND). I NEVER was one to have several partners. And I always followed a good diet, personal hygiene.

It almost feels like pin, prickly feeling then a movement of once or twice in area or LIKE when a mosquito stings and you feel the need to scratch it. Once I scratch the area then it stops itching.

So the only thing I can think of from looking at the slides it might be some kind of worm. I was treated with Permethrin and Pin Worm med. Still no help.

If there is expert microbiologist or parasitolgist out there who I can send the slides to look at. This would help.

I goofed around on your thread here before, I'm sorry, I hadn't finished reading them, scuze me.:( Go check your messages, maybe I can help??

good luck

Start having a look around the CDC's parasitic image library, although, as someone said, a magnification of 10X leaves something to be desired. Hopefully you prepped slides with proper fixatives too, if need be--I'm not much of a help here either but strong in research.:)

http://dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/Image_Library.htm

Also, here is a parasitic INDEX feom the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/

NEITHER of those is their home page, don't skip home pages, not a good habit. But it is important to note that the best sources you most wish to be able to submit your specimen almost all require they be submitted by a health Professional and practicing physician, this's honestly not a do it yourself kind of project but a serious matter for trained experts in the field, it's not good to base much opinion on posts here on a forum.

When you do your research, like going into this index or googling, searching from the ground up on your own, it's absolutely KEY that you CROSS REFERENCE.

For example, when you search the index of parasites, first go into the little search browser at top right and plug in words and phrases together, such as 'sexually transmitted', that is job number One. You may fit several words in that little search sometimes, helping your hunt much more. So maybe use the sexually transmitted with itchy or with 'responds to warm water'.

Lastly, what was the drug treatment you said it was responding to until you got off it? That should definitely go in the search that it responded to a particular drug!

One other thing, I know Blahah brought it up but you have to wash all bedding constantly in hot water for this, once a week probably won't do, I doubt it and you're probably reinfecting yourself everytime you begin to respond with any treatment anyway. I'd stay away from your couch, etc, fabric, even upholstered seats, sprays reserved for the car, etc could help. Boy, I'd move again if it were me. Start over but with proper treatment and care this time.

Go back to MAYO, nobody can do you better than them, tell them they haven't yet helped, you still need to be diagnosed and have run out of money trying, including investing in their expertise. Disgusting how doctors give up when the money stops flowing, you paid for a nearer diagnosis and this is treatable. They should be held accountable and not allowed to dismiss you, lose you in the shuffle, yoy have to be your own healthcare advocate, just like you are actively researching, you have to actively return to them for what your insurance already covered

You have to pay to go to the doctors? I sometimes forget how lucky we are here in the UK.

Are there any visible signs of irritation (not caused by scratching)? Like swellings, lumps, a rash or anything? If so you should take photographs of them. How long have the symptoms been occurring?

You could try keeping a daily log, noting what you eat each day, your activities that day (where you went, broad outline of the things you did) and who you met. Also keep a log of when you experience or notice your skin irritation. That will make it easier to possibly identify anything which correlates with the symptoms.

You could also try posting on the medical forums on the net, there are quite a few.

I believe Sabaroud is largely superceded by Dermatophyte test medium. If you can find somewhere to buy a small quantity, you could make it at home with glassware sterilised in a pressure cooker, then mix the powder with deionised water and microwave or pressure cook it to sterilise again. You can buy Petri dishes online and probably some glassware and the medium too. You can make a small makeshift laminar flow hood with your vacuum cleaner and a cardboard box lined with plastic, you just need to make it so a curtain of air is drawn upward across and into the front of the box by the vacuum, and you could pour your plates in there. Then when they set, use sterilised cotton swabs to take samples of the rash and innoculate the plates. Once the plates are innoculated you should seal them with cling film and store them inverted in the airing cupboard or another warm place. Make sure you don't open the plates once they've been innoculated - if anything grows on that medium it may cause skin disease, so the last thing you want to do is expose yourself to it again. Then take close up photographs of what grows and report back, and perhaps we can identify it.

Regarding your description of the symptoms:

"Feels like something is moving on my skin especially at night. After exercise/sweat the itching is bad. My skin always feels sticky even a few hours after shower. I believe this to be some kind of fungus. I am tired of going to docs and they have not been able to help me"

Well, it's not unusual for skin to be sticky even a short time after a shower - I sweat quite easily and I am often sweaty within a short time of washing. My skin also itches intensely during exercise, but that's the prickly sensation of sweat glands producing sweat, not an infection. Similarly when your sweat dries it leaves crystallised salts on your skin which are mildly irritating and drying. I'm not saying there is definitely not a microorganism or something causing your symptoms, but they may also be within the normal range of healthy experience but accentuated because you think about it a lot. Something to consider.

Don't be so naive, you pay for your healthcare every bit as much as we do, they just take it out in trade, heh.:)

You also experience lengthy waits in those social systems, akin to food rationing, likes of the Soylent Green variety, lol.--nExt!, right after the last guy died waiting in line for commonplace procedures given here like candy, all for the taking if they can cram it up your insurance, you're in and out, same day procedurals.

Where do these people come from who look into the eyes of government, of all things, and see some kind of figure glaring down on them reserving only all the love of a Daddy!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Furthermore, micro, I would come at them (civilly, from a professional, sensible standpoint)--but from two angles, email the Mayo Clinic a very thorough documentation of your entire process since it began, just as you did here. Email it to the right people, if you get no response, you sent it to the wrong department.

********Don't forget to cross reference everything whenever you do a search, it's all-umportant to targeting anything.

Edited by matty

I will certainly look at the CDC links and just maybe I may come across info I need. Your help greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!

Start having a look around the CDC's parasitic image library, although, as someone said, a magnification of 10X leaves something to be desired. Hopefully you prepped slides with proper fixatives too, if need be--I'm not much of a help here either but strong in research.:)

http://dpd.cdc.gov/d...age_Library.htm

Also, here is a parasitic INDEX feom the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/

NEITHER of those is their home page, don't skip home pages, not a good habit. But it is important to note that the best sources you most wish to be able to submit your specimen almost all require they be submitted by a health Professional and practicing physician, this's honestly not a do it yourself kind of project but a serious matter for trained experts in the field, it's not good to base much opinion on posts here on a forum.

When you do your research, like going into this index or googling, searching from the ground up on your own, it's absolutely KEY that you CROSS REFERENCE.

For example, when you search the index of parasites, first go into the little search browser at top right and plug in words and phrases together, such as 'sexually transmitted', that is job number One. You may fit several words in that little search sometimes, helping your hunt much more. So maybe use the sexually transmitted with itchy or with 'responds to warm water'.

Lastly, what was the drug treatment you said it was responding to until you got off it? That should definitely go in the search that it responded to a particular drug!

One other thing, I know Blahah brought it up but you have to wash all bedding constantly in hot water for this, once a week probably won't do, I doubt it and you're probably reinfecting yourself everytime you begin to respond with any treatment anyway. I'd stay away from your couch, etc, fabric, even upholstered seats, sprays reserved for the car, etc could help. Boy, I'd move again if it were me. Start over but with proper treatment and care this time.

Go back to MAYO, nobody can do you better than them, tell them they haven't yet helped, you still need to be diagnosed and have run out of money trying, including investing in their expertise. Disgusting how doctors give up when the money stops flowing, you paid for a nearer diagnosis and this is treatable. They should be held accountable and not allowed to dismiss you, lose you in the shuffle, yoy have to be your own healthcare advocate, just like you are actively researching, you have to actively return to them for what your insurance already covered

Don't be so naive, you pay for your healthcare every bit as much as we do, they just take it out in trade, heh.:)

You also experience lengthy waits in those social systems, akin to food rationing, likes of the Soylent Green variety, lol.--nExt!, right after the last guy died waiting in line for commonplace procedures given here like candy, all for the taking if they can cram it up your insurance, you're in and out, same day procedurals.

Where do these people come from who look into the eyes of government, of all things, and see some kind of figure glaring down on them reserving only all the love of a Daddy!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Furthermore, micro, I would come at them (civilly, from a professional, sensible standpoint)--but from two angles, email the Mayo Clinic a very thorough documentation of your entire process since it began, just as you did here. Email it to the right people, if you get no response, you sent it to the wrong department.

********Don't forget to cross reference everything whenever you do a search, it's all-umportant to targeting anything.

http://www.stdsandyou.com/yeastinfection/hygiene-standards-to-follow-when-candida-thrush-yeast-infections-are-present.html

The link above has detailed hygienic standardss for a sexually transmitted yeast infection of the fungal nature your documentations suggest.--I previously left this an entirely different oost but without remembering your family contracted the itching, so I'd really overlooked something important but this standard above is a good place to start.:)

Edited by matty

Before I get back with anything else, I want to be clear I'm not a health professional either but leaving such things, most things untreated is very serious and I really think by now you should go the the emergency room, any hospital will see you.:)

Sounds very much like you just have a sexually transmitted Yeast infection gone astray, since it's been left virtually untreated now years, but that should be a comfort, though everything suggests it's an emergency by now and some elements can become irreversible if left too long.

The following link is excellent, give it a thorough read, it even suggests you'd very much been getting some worthwhile help here, including Appolinaria's suggestion to use tea tree oil; here it says to us it in a bath, but no bath oils.

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/std/yeast_infection.htm

Those two links alone are enough to get you on headed on the right track but you'll likely need a prescription and probably a couple of over the counter items, like suppositories mentioned here, in the above.

Ok, so who knows if you don't have a couple of elements turned loose after this ordeal, look at this link, this is a must read on itching especially at NIGHT and says doctors oftem misdiagnos. Very treatable.

http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/arachnids/acari/sarcoptes_scabiei.htm

Perhaps you have, as someone else suggested, two things going on? But read this link well, it offers TWO possible suggestions in this itching at night area and even says the respond to the warmth of being in bed, under blankets.

I can hardly believe the freaking Mayo Clinic could carelessly overlook something so simple and it only reinforces everything I ever think about doctors, your whole experience to date with this being just a fine case in point!

Feel free to privately message me from my profile page from here if you like.;)

Good luck, I hope any of this leads you in a positive direction.

Appolinaria was right on with her permethrin. See this link too, it suggests very much you've just progressed to the stage of taking on an allergic reaction in the process and it offers super specific advice to go with the first hygienic link I left a bit ago. Forget what a said on the two mite suggestions the link above offer, however, since the second was bird related.:)

http://www.dermconsultants.com/scabies.html

Some google images as well...and the above links fit your description perfectly, including nail-related and scalp irritation...

http://www.google.com/m/search?q=scabies&pbx=1&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g5-k0d0t0&fkt=2461&fsdt=17643&cqt=&rst=&htf=&his=&maction=&site=images&gl=us&client=ms-android-verizon&source=mog&csll=&action=&ltoken=70a140e

That's all good news to you, if I'm correct and I think I am; it could've been so much worse.:)

Plus, apparently, you need a referral right away to a DERMATOLOGIST and not and OBGYN.

What the CDC has to say is some relief...

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/gen_info/faqs.html

"...How long can scabies mites live?

On a person, scabies mites can live for as long as 1-2 months. Off a person, scabies mites usually do not survive more than 48-72 hours. Scabies mites will die if exposed to a temperature of 50°C (122°F) for 10 minutes.

Can scabies be treated?

Yes. Products used to treat scabies are called scabicides because they kill scabies mites; some also kill eggs. Scabicides to treat human scabies are available only with a doctor’s prescription; no "over-the-counter" (non-prescription) products have been tested and approved for humans.

Always follow carefully the instructions provided by the doctor and pharmacist, as well as those contained in the box or printed on the label. When treating adults and older children, scabicide cream or lotion is applied to all areas of the body from the neck down to the feet and toes; when treating infants and young children, the cream or lotion also is applied to the head and neck. The medication should be left on the body for the recommended time before it is washed off. Clean clothes should be worn after treatment.

In addition to the infested person, treatment also is recommended for household members and sexual contacts, particularly those who have had prolonged skin-to-skin contact with the infested person. All persons should be treated at the same time in order to prevent reinfestation. Retreatment may be necessary if itching continues more than 2-4 weeks after treatment or if new burrows or rash continue to appear.

Never use a scabicide intended for veterinary or agricultural use to treat humans!..."