Commuting with Closed Eyes.

cyclops

While commuting in the bus securely seated with eyes closed I see the buildings and trees rush backward.

(Not actual things that are there but my memory of them seen sometime before)

How does it happen?

While at it (In the bus with eyes closed) I see fine strands of lines (like in the Optical Illusion Illustrations) close together

Eddy,Undulate,Gyrate in a topological swirl.

What are they? I feel fresh, I feel i am seeing something physical in my eye (One Eye or both the Eyes I don't know)

I am posting all this with a view to obtaining feedback from people who are already doing it, and from experts to know it surely.

So that i can do it with Technique and Skill.

First of all, as a cyclops you should say "commuting with your eye closed." Sorry, I couldn't resist. There is research into various types of after images and hallucinations, but it is pretty hard to penetrate. One general organizing principle is that starting in the retina and in all subsequent levels of visual processing, the signals from the receptors are processed to detect edges, lines, and colors (for example), and this information is assembled into objects and images in tertiary cortical visual areas. Another important fact is that the system is set up such that many processes are signaled by both increases and decreases of an ongoing rate of action potentials, and it slowly adapts to signal a mid level stimulus as a mid level amount of neural activity. This means that the system is humming along in both daylight and in total darkness.

In a well lighted scene the visual system can process an image with good accuracy. Without a strong stimulus the brain tries to process images from the ongoing activity, but under normal circumstances the ongoing signal is too low and uniform in darkness. When there are very slight deviations in this dark signal the brain creates an image for you. The most common example is pressing your eyeball through your eyelid to create lights and patterns. You are seeing increased action potentials in a subset of retinal processing cells (probably ganglion cells). Some drugs, such as LSD, cause random activity in the visual system and this can cause elaborate hallucinations to be generated.

When neurons are excited for a long time they can be suppressed after stimulation ceases, by an adaptation process, and this can cause negative aftereffects. Conversely some neural circuits seem to become overexcited by long stimulation and it takes a while to for them to calm down (the mechanism for this is not fully understood), and this can produce positive after effects. These effects are very small so that one doesn't see their result unless the eyes are closed. Your visual system may be tuned a little more sensitive in some aspect than other people. I have experienced something similar to your experience when driving for long periods down a straight road in a dead to the world, eyes glued open, dangerous state. When I stop, get out of the car, and stand still I still perceive the world as rushing by even with the scene is standing still. SM

Edited by SMF

Cyclops to SMF

Thank you for your response.

Cyberspace is a wonderful thing. Mind meets mind, Ideas bond and built.

Cyclops deserved your dig, he asked for it!

The reason i penned myself Cyclops is that i hypothesis that we are all one-Eyed. One Eye takes the full load of seeing, The other Eye works only to give depth. One Eye is over worked, the other weak. Kindly confirm or correct my observation and conclusion.

From being one Eyed Cyclops i want to graduate to Cherub with his two Eyes equally blown open, wide with wonderment. Kindly refer to my earlier post Splitting Eyes posted on 07 Feb 2011. Kindly offer data to confirm,correct, contradict.

A friend of mine once drove me through a tree-lined boulevard with golf course lawns and bushes at a steady pace. The parallax effect was stunning. I sat up Eyes turning this way and that near bewildered. The friend chucked to himself and said I knew you would see.

I need time to absorb what you have written about retinal -neural activity. I experience such a total de-stress in my explorations within my Eyes that i feel can be useful to all If a technique can be developed. The Yoga movements currently popular lack such an In-Depth exploration and hard science data. Kindly help shape it.

Thanks again dear SMF, Take care When you drive..

Edited by cyclops

Your statement-- "One Eye takes the full load of seeing, The other Eye works only to give depth" is not correct. Even though most folks have a dominant eye, it takes both eyes working together equally to produce normal vision. When you hear statements like this you should be skeptical. Another example is the silly suggestion that we only use 10% of our brain. The evolutionary process specifically works against inefficiency like this. SM

• 2 weeks later...

Your statement-- "One Eye takes the full load of seeing, The other Eye works only to give depth" is not correct. Even though most folks have a dominant eye, it takes both eyes working together equally to produce normal vision. When you hear statements like this you should be skeptical. Another example is the silly suggestion that we only use 10% of our brain. The evolutionary process specifically works against inefficiency like this. SM

Dear SMF

I stand corrected thanks for taking the trouble. Apologies for irritating you. I will learn, You should see the way JOHN CUTHBER chewed me up and spat me out in my "FREAK EYE EXERCISES" in the same forum posted on Oct 13 2009. I was twice shy and stopped posting for fear of provoking experts. I did heed his advice, consulted my physician who said though subjectively i felt i was splitting my skull, objectively i was only exercising my head and face muscles. I gave him a demonstration of my Freak Eye exercise. I should have consulted him before i posted it. Now that you have drawn me out i will apologise to John Cuthber soon.

Subjectivity carries with certitude. An occupational hazard. I learn from you subjective feeling is one thing, objective reporting is another thing. Kindly don't lose patience yet.

You kindly conceded me an edge in my inner perceptions over others. That must be because i move my Eyes from the depth of my Vitreous gel. I have made a mistake in the last line. I made an objective statement that i move my eyes from the depth of Vitreous gel. Sorry, that is what i think. The reason i think so is "THE FLOATERS!"

When i say i move my Eyes i mean i move the Floaters in the Vitreous gel. Floaters are considered inconsequential, just a crinkle in the Vitreous gel, Iam told. The NIE of USA has a Vitreous gel expert who can suck the old gel out and pump in fresh gel, then you have a clear vision, Iam told. Iam sorry i have not verified them. But operating with floaters gives me that depth of halucination which is a great De-Stress exercise for me. I even see snow flurry, rushing water which makes me happy like a child in a rubber bathtub. Kindly throw light on my own explanations for my experience.

Thanking you for your Patience.

Close your eyes at night, now move your hands in front of your eyes and you can still see them. Same effect. Your subconcious knows where you are or what you are doing at the moment, notices something is missing, and, for the sake of pattern recognition, replaces the missing bits with images from your memory.

Cyclops, I was not irritated with you. On forums such as this many posters simply state the facts as they see them. This may sound unfriendly, but actually it is not. Without face-to-face voice inflection and facial expression the writing seems terse. SM

• 2 weeks later...

Cyclops!

In ur response to SMF you stated ur visual image processing may be more because u move the floaters, and that may result in operating from the depth of your Vitreous Gel.

Your Self-Improvement friend doesn't seem to operate that way, Still sees the waves as u do, pushes through gates & gates which u do not. In what way do u think he achieves more than u. It may even help u if u understood it, assuming this wild goose chase will lead somewhere.

Hydra6,

You caught me, My self-improvement friend has a will that i lack. My personality is move gentle, enquiring, hesitantly explorative. It is possible he is cutting his Eyeball out and up the mid-brow, In the process acts from the depth of Vitreous Gel, maybe even from Retina & Optic chord. I will study him closely besides another friend reports to me that he sees bears & bushes out of the extreme ear corners of his Eyes. The mid-brow angle of gaze produces dizziness in me.

If someone outside me sees it all objectively & suggests something I will be greatful which is the reason i am posting myself out on the net. Thank you for your perceptive insert.

-Cyclops

Edited by cyclops