dragonstar57

4 members have voted

1. 1. what is the best way to convey information information/ arguements

• slideshow
    • video
    • bulleted list
    • book
    • negiative vote; video

i have heard people complain about the medium that an idea is presented (mostly about videos).

what is the best way to present your ideas in a way that the reader/viewer/listener to asses the validity of your argument in the most objective way possible (if your main goal is not to get people to believe what you are saying but to present a valid argument)

Edited by dragonstar57

I would say none of the above. The best way, I feel, is to present your ideas face to face with those you wish to convince. This gives them the chance to question you. Obviously as part of your presentation you might use aids but personally I would advise against videos. It would be more effective to use a prepared slide show that can be easily interrupted to clear points that arise. If this sounds like suggesting something approaching a lecture there might be a reason for that! A forum such as this can work well as often you get quick and useful feedback from the other forum members.

Edited by TonyMcC

I agree with the above. In the past few days I attended two meetings where I tried to get some of my ideas across (exactly the same ideas and format). The first was a face to face meeting and it went really well with lots of discussion and understanding ot the concept. The other one was a formal large audience presentation with slides, where no discussion was allowed, and the result was disappointing.

A book is a pretty reliable method, but it would be boring for a live presentation, for which a presentation with slides would be ideal. It really depends on the depth with which you want to argue. Note that written argument by its very nature makes many of the tricks and fallacies that could be used with live voice or video harder or impossible. Ask yourself, what does a video have that a written argument does not? And what does a video have that a written argument does not and is relevant to the argument?

The steps to success (in my humble opinion) are:

1. Have a good message

2. Choose your audience

3. Choose the appropriate method to get your message to your audience.

As far as I can see, you're jumping to step 3... but step 3 is dependent on the other two steps, so there is no good (or bad) answer to your question.

The question as formed also ignores the fact that different people learn and respond to different media. Some people are visual learners, some people are audio learners. Some people are better reading something themselves, and some people are better having something read to them. Etc. If possible, the best bet is to address all the different types at the same time, so that all types are paid attention to.