Asking for Guidance ...

khaled

I am a computer science student, interested in theoretical computer sciences ...

I have improved myself in Algorithms, and had a basic course in Discrete Mathematics,

My main interest lies in Mathematical Logic, and my question is

What do I need to get in order to improve myself in Mathematical Logic ..?

I'm a bachelor-degree student, we studied Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, and Discrete Mathematics,

I can't ask the mathematics department to get a course,

and Yes, I'm asking for hints on a self-study on Mathematical Logic ...

Edited by khaled

If cross-attending lectures is not common in your university, then perhaps ask a professor if it's still ok for him for you to attend his/her lecture. Usually, professors are not exactly offended by students with a real interest in their lecture, and math lectures tend not to be completely crowded. You don't even need a formal grade, so there's no problem with possible bureaucratic hindrances. I seriously recommend trying this route, since supervised learning is imho superior to self-learning in abstract field like logic (the biggest problem in logic is that it's often counterintuitive and that intuition is hard to switch off without formal training).

I'm afraid I have no advice for self-learning, in case you really have to fall back on that.

are there general courses in Mathematics related to Mathematical Logic .. so that I can

look up courses that I can cross-attend in my university,

also, we share the same building with mathematics\science college,

so I can easily cross-attend ...

I'd start with looking for courses named something with "logic" offered by the math department. That should give some results. While doing so for some random university, I figured that in case you cannot attend a course, the course descriptions are likely to contain relevant literature.

I can't ask the mathematics department to get a course...

Even if you cannot officially take the mathematics courses for credit, provided you have the time it should still be possible to attend the lectures. You should ask whoever is running the course(s) you are interested in. I doubt they will say you cannot attend, but it is polite to ask first.

Even if you cannot officially take the mathematics courses for credit, provided you have the time it should still be possible to attend the lectures. You should ask whoever is running the course(s) you are interested in. I doubt they will say you cannot attend, but it is polite to ask first.

Any ideas on good books on Mathematical Logic ?